collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eastside Weyerhauser land now Chelan Resources LLC?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Cougeyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Eastside Weyerhauser land now Chelan Resources LLC?
« on: November 09, 2021, 03:49:10 PM »
I noticed on Onx that Weyerhauser land that was around Blewett pass (shaser creek, iron mountain, scotty creek) now says Chelan Resources LLC. Anyone know much about this company? Is access to that land possible now? Before Weyerhaeuser, it used to be owned by Longview Timber who had a hand shake agreement with the forest service to allow access through their land for recreation. Once Weyerhaeuser purchased it, leases were sold, gates went up and it blocked access to thousands of acres of good ground to hunt. Anyone know whether access has changed to these areas with the new ownership?

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
Re: Eastside Weyerhauser land now Chelan Resources LLC?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 03:54:41 PM »
It was sold to Hampton and they sold permits/leases in the same fashion as Weyerhauser, then Hampton just sold a chunk of it which I think includes everything on the east side to Chinook Forest Partners...

https://www.tillamookheadlightherald.com/news/chinook-forest-partners-purchases-timberland-from-hampton-lumber/article_081c32a4-3b2c-11ec-b812-2b4ef9bef261.html

Stuff changes hands so often OnX hardly gets updated and it's already out of date.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »
Thanks. Probably same story regarding access then.

Offline 509

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 05:51:04 PM »
I noticed on Onx that Weyerhauser land that was around Blewett pass (shaser creek, iron mountain, scotty creek) now says Chelan Resources LLC. Anyone know much about this company? Is access to that land possible now? Before Weyerhaeuser, it used to be owned by Longview Timber who had a hand shake agreement with the forest service to allow access through their land for recreation. Once Weyerhaeuser purchased it, leases were sold, gates went up and it blocked access to thousands of acres of good ground to hunt. Anyone know whether access has changed to these areas with the new ownership?

No such thing as a hand shake agreement with the Forest Service!!!   

The Forest Service easements ALL include public use easements.  The BLM and other government agencies do negotiate easements for "government use  only".

All the easements with Longview Fiber and their "survivors" are on file at the Supervisor's Office for the National Forest.  Go to Engineering and ask to see the Road Atlas.  You can then get copies of the actual easement.  The taxpayers PAID for those easements.

My favorite Weyerhauser easement story after purchase of Longview Fiber.  The Forest Service PAID the Washington State Department of Natural Resources for an public easement across state land.  The DNR lands are ALSO public lands.

Weyerhauser posted the road closed to trespass because they owned land  A MILE beyond the gate!!! 

Posting of public land is fairly common and the trespass laws need to be changed.  If you put up a no trespass sign, the land owners NAME needs to be on the sign.  With penalties for illegal posting.

That will stop posting of public lands by companies like Weyerhauser.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 11:42:49 AM »
I inquired with the FS regarding easement with Longview fiber and they said no formal easement was in place.

Offline 509

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 07:40:42 PM »
I inquired with the FS regarding easement with Longview fiber and they said no formal easement was in place.

That might be the case.

Almost ALL Forest Service easements with Longview Fiber were for timber sales.  But since the Forest Service insists on a PUBLIC easement, that gives the public access across Longview Fiber (and successors).

Take the time to recognize FS gates.  Many of them are placed off MAIN roads, where the adjacent land is private, but there is a Forest Service easement that gives the public access.  There will be a minimum of TWO locks, one for the private landowner and one for the Forest Service, usually but NOT always a YALE lock.

Take a good look at the ROAD CLOSED sign.  All Forest Service signs are made in southern California and there should be a sign ID number that starts with FS....that means there is a public easement to public lands across public property.

Weyerhauser was pretty awful about posting their lands as NO TRESSPASSING when the public, through the Forest Service had a legal easement to cross the property.  Really somebody should go to jail.

Weyerhauser sold their lands to small private owners in my neighborhood.  Yep, the Forest Service gate is still there and the Weyerhauser  NO TRESPASSING sign has been replace by a NO HUNTING sign and a PRIVATE PROPERTY SIGN.

Notice there is NO SIGN saying NO TRESPASSING!!!  That is because the new landowner knows that there is a public easement across the land and unlike Weyerhauser he does follow the law.

What we need is for the Forest Service to clearly post the roads where they have a legal public easement as such.

We also need a law to keep people from posting illegal NO TRESPASSING signs....keep companies like Weyerhauser honest.

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 08:03:39 AM »
The only way to know for sure is to dig into the records of the auditor office.  There may be old easements that predate the Longview Fibre/Timber ownership.  When Weyco. got Burlington Northern the title included exceptions for "existing public roads" and RS2744 roads (mine-to-market) roads.  Look for the OLDEST road system.  I have found no proof that every USFS easement includes public access, and many have an administrative use component.   It is absolutely correct that  Weyerhaeuser signs are often wrong.  I've found them on county roads, other private property, on on clear public easements. They just plaster them up willy-nilly in convenient places.
 I believe this is unethical and unprofessional behavior, and should be reported on their ethics online reporting system.  https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/48098/index.html

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]