collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Contact List Regarding Spring Bear  (Read 4643 times)

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
Contact List Regarding Spring Bear
« on: December 06, 2021, 09:56:50 AM »
Hopefully this is okay with the Moderators, I’m not trying to create a bunch of threads regarding spring bear being canceled. However I was wondering what more I could do. I wanted to make it easy for people like me to find out who I can bother over this issue. I took all these contacts from the other thread. Please Feel free to add contacts to the list.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/commission/contact

JT Austin
Senior Policy Advisor, Natural Resources
360-902-0638
jt.austin@gov.wa.gov

Jon Snyder
Senior Policy Advisor, Outdoor Recreation & Economic Development
360-584-3804
jon.snyder@gov.wa.gov

https://www.change.org/p/jay-inslee-bring-back-spring-bear-hunting-for-washington-states-2022-season

Call 360.786.7662 senator Jesse Salomon and ask he not confirm Lorna Smith

https://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

kevin.vandewege@leg.wa.gov.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:30:47 AM by raydog »

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Contact List Regarding Spring Bear
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 03:50:50 PM »
Keep up the pressure. Don’t let this fall by the way side. Continue to call and email, even just weekly if that’s all you can do. We must not let Lorna Smith get confirmed. If you can share info on your social media do it…a chance to speak on a podcast? Do it. Continue to get the word out. I’ll update as soon as possible if there is something else we can do.

I’m not letting this issue pass anytime soon.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 04:00:33 PM »
People need to realize that even if Spring bear means nothing to them, that this is still a major battle.  Next year they might determine that mule deer don’t need to be hunted.  I mean following the science, they are in worse shape than black bears are…. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 04:24:35 PM »
People need to realize that even if Spring bear means nothing to them, that this is still a major battle.  Next year they might determine that mule deer don’t need to be hunted.  I mean following the science, they are in worse shape than black bears are….

All you have to do is look at how they want to handle the elk recruitment problem in the blues. Reduce hunting but do nothing about predators. This is the logical nextmovenow that predator numbers are high enough.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 04:35:36 PM »
I contacted my senator and rep's.
Does anyone know if the Lorna Smith confirmation is currently scheduled/in process?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 04:36:11 PM »

:yeah:

Cougars with dogs, spring bear, wolves are untouchable, coyote derby, it will certainly continue through the predators at least.  Fall bear is probably next, no reason to be chasing around those sows as they struggle to put on weight to care for their cubs.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 04:39:44 PM »

They don’t follow the science though. Lots more money in deer tags

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 05:56:30 PM »
I'm not trying to throw cold water on anyone's activism

BUT

There's a ton of people who are fired up and trying to engage on this as individuals. Better energy is to find a conservation org (local or national) that is in this fight and work through them/support their work. They know the system, players and most effective practices to actually fight these battles. Keep in mind that Marie from the inland Northwest Wildlife Council was one of the only people speaking on behalf of hunters in those meetings and is working her channels to build action. Just because you don't see them move our and fast doesn't mean orgs aren't working hard on this- strategically and not just reactively. They'll also keep this fight going longer.

Just food for thought
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 06:04:18 PM »
Does anyone know if the Lorna Smith confirmation is currently scheduled/in process?
The legislature doesn't come into session until January. We will know a date (if one is scheduled) then.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 06:11:30 PM »
I'm not trying to throw cold water on anyone's activism

BUT

There's a ton of people who are fired up and trying to engage on this as individuals. Better energy is to find a conservation org (local or national) that is in this fight and work through them/support their work. They know the system, players and most effective practices to actually fight these battles. Keep in mind that Marie from the inland Northwest Wildlife Council was one of the only people speaking on behalf of hunters in those meetings and is working her channels to build action. Just because you don't see them move our and fast doesn't mean orgs aren't working hard on this- strategically and not just reactively. They'll also keep this fight going longer.

Just food for thought

Nope, both is better.

Offline JeepWrangler

• Tracker
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Wa, Washington State Bowhunters, Pope and Young
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 06:36:34 PM »
I'm in agreement with the sentiment of doing all you can do.

Contact the Commission, contact the appropriate Senator(s), give financial support to organizations that are in this fight.

Make calls, send emails, donate time and money to pro hunting organizations working to save hunt.

It all matters.

There is a famous quote by Martin Niemoller, that is too long to put in here, (if you are interested the full quote is on Google). Very loosely paraphrased to say:

I didn't speak up when they took other people's rights. Then they came for my rights, and there was no one left to help me save my rights.

Please help save bear hunting.

Or there may be no one left when they come to take your deer hunting / elk hunting / fishing / public land recreation....

I heard someone ask recently if it be our generation that history looks back upon as the generation that lost hunting in America.

I can do more. So I will.

* end of rant *

Thank-you
Member: Washingtonians For Wildlife Conservation
Member: Wildlife Committee of Washington
Member: Washington State Bowhunters
Financial Supporter: Blood Origins
Member: Western Bear Foundation
Pope & Young Book: Washington Black Bear

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 07:18:11 PM »
The legislature doesn't come into session until January. We will know a date (if one is scheduled) then.

Thanks @bigtex

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 08:31:02 PM »
I contacted the commission today and confirmed that the vacant Eastern WA spot has been open since December of 2020.  I then asked who to talk to about the fact that the Governor has violated the RCW regarding appointment to the commission since it specifically states that he SHALL appoint three positions in January of odd years and that if a position becomes vacant during that persons term he SHALL appoint a new person within 60 days.  In either case, he violated the RCW.  I was told "I suggest you reach out to the Governors Boards and Commissions office. They can be reached at 360-902-4111 or by email at GovernorBoardsandCommissions@gov.wa.gov."

If you are contacting people, this is another thing to bring up.  By violating the RCW, the Governor has left Eastern WA without proper representation. 
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline harveymarv

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 06:11:13 AM »
I contacted the commission today and confirmed that the vacant Eastern WA spot has been open since December of 2020.  I then asked who to talk to about the fact that the Governor has violated the RCW regarding appointment to the commission since it specifically states that he SHALL appoint three positions in January of odd years and that if a position becomes vacant during that persons term he SHALL appoint a new person within 60 days.  In either case, he violated the RCW.  I was told "I suggest you reach out to the Governors Boards and Commissions office. They can be reached at 360-902-4111 or by email at GovernorBoardsandCommissions@gov.wa.gov."

If you are contacting people, this is another thing to bring up.  By violating the RCW, the Governor has left Eastern WA without proper representation.

thank raydog for the list, and thanks torrent for this add’l phone # and email. i believe this is the email/# by which a complaint about specific commission members can be made. i will be sending complaints about all 4 members that voted no on spring bear via this email. i mailed my petition yesterday as commissioner thorburn suggested. i certainly expect wdfw to rubberstamp a rejection on it, but plan to appeal. the hope is that somewhere we can get more media coverage of this problem and prevent lorna smith’s confirmation, and push inslee to appoint eastern wa’s representative. i also agree that getting (and funding) the pro-hunting organizations to advocate for us on this is important, but in the meantime individual citizens continuing to push and not letting this go may work like dripping water on a rock. i also agree that teaching/recruiting others to hunt is more important now than ever (and when my daughters are old enough they will have the option to hunt if they want), but it is also important to teach them that the right to do so has to be actively defended these days. we unfortunately cannot take hunting rights for granted. this has opened my eyes.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 06:37:08 AM »
Do the senators in my district (31) have any input on this confirmation vote??  I don't want to email them if they can't say or do anything about it.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter