collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2022 Wenaha Any Ram  (Read 14800 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: 2022 Wenaha Any Ram
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2022, 03:27:37 PM »
He did NOT fill the tag.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Romulus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2022, 07:43:15 AM »
I think we all know for the most part people report back after success.......and success for most people only involves a kill and for many even with a kill success is determined by the size of the animal killed. It is just the world we live in. I would guess this guy worked much harder than most people who have had "success" in Washington sheep units.  Because in general killing a good ram in most Washington sheep units is very easy if you can hunt at all and get around ok.  And if you can do neither you probably know someone who will help you have success. Because sheep hunting is fun and easy.  I think it is good for people to know what they are getting into but most people put in for sheep when they put in for other special permits and dont have a clue but it is cheap to add that app.........I dont know and maybe this is not the case but what is a shame is if there are people who were in the know and they offered no help to this guy either because they aspire for the same tag or wish to be paid for guiding etc....  Maybe he was given good intel and it was just too hard or bad luck or wrong place wrong time...Or maybe people who could have pointed in the right direction chose not to.  Either way he still deserved the tag just as much as anyone else as none of us DESERVE to beat the odds and get a sheep tag. Hope he can take some solace in busting his tail and hope he at least found some sheep.  Tough pill to swallow I am sure.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 08:12:52 AM »
Well said!

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »
I guess my post came across the wrong way.. Over the years I’ve talked to many people who have drawn a blues tag, mainly elk tags, and they want to get intell because they’ve never been to the area. Most when they get over there and look into the wenaha are shocked and overwhelmed. I think many assume a sheep tag will be easy to fill because nearly all of them are easy in Washington.. The wenaha is a different beast and takes a lot of time and effort just to lay eyes on a ram let alone get close enough to kill one.. There are world class rams in there that guys spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on raffle and auction tags and I just hope that whomever is lucky enough to draw the tag is prepared to have a chance at success in there and can dedicate the time it may take both scouting and hunting.. I did talk multiple times with the tag holder before and during his hunt and I know he worked his tail off and it’s up to him if he wants to share how it went. I’ve eaten plenty of tags myself and help others when I can and my post to enlighten some about the tough reality of a wenaha sheep tag was all that was ..

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2022, 12:10:47 PM »
Your post was just fine Scott.  I don't think people are razzing the hunter, I do hate it when someone draws a tag, asks for help and then ghosts us on the "rest of the story".  Most on here like to help and give info on the private message side.  A follow up by the hunter is all we ask, no judging.

Offline Romulus

• Hunter
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2022, 12:45:48 PM »
 I found no problem with your post.....I am glad you helped him however you could.......I help people all the time who are "competing" for the same tags as myself and while it can be frustrating to wait forever for tags in areas you know well and others get the tag having no clue, at the end of the day you can be bitter or you can help if possible and in my experience you almost always get more than you give if you are generous.....and if you get around to many places you figure out you want to be the lucky new guy when you draw a tag in a state or unit you have never been to.
Again...glad you helped him and meant no ill will towards your post....information gets tricky as sometimes people like to talk down areas that are actually pretty good.  Wish it would have worked out for him. Hope you get the tag sometime so we can see one of the monsters!! Or maybe you will eat the tag waiting for the monster you know is there but just wont cooperate.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2022, 01:32:20 PM »
I guess my post came across the wrong way..
Yea - I still don't understand your post about Wa not getting a tag every year and so it needs to be filled when we get it.  Why?  Is there a management reason that penalizes future hunters if it's not filled?  Or are you saying it's a rare tag and there are people willing to spend hundreds of thousands on raffles/auctions to hunt there so if you aren't serious then you should not take opportunity from those who are serious and know what it takes?  I'm not tracking what you meant.

Im not saying this about the tag holder this year but the wenaha sheep tag is a very tough hunt, If your not a backpack style hunter that is hard core and can spend the time scouting in the summer and dedicate alot of time for the hunt then please don't apply for it and go after the tags that are an easier style hunt. Washington won't likely get this tag every year so it needs to be filled everytime we get one.. There are good rams there just hard to get to...
Why?  What's the downside to it not being filled for future WA hunters?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2022, 02:13:51 PM »
I guess my post came across the wrong way..
Yea - I still don't understand your post about Wa not getting a tag every year and so it needs to be filled when we get it.  Why?  Is there a management reason that penalizes future hunters if it's not filled?  Or are you saying it's a rare tag and there are people willing to spend hundreds of thousands on raffles/auctions to hunt there so if you aren't serious then you should not take opportunity from those who are serious and know what it takes?  I'm not tracking what you meant.

Im not saying this about the tag holder this year but the wenaha sheep tag is a very tough hunt, If your not a backpack style hunter that is hard core and can spend the time scouting in the summer and dedicate alot of time for the hunt then please don't apply for it and go after the tags that are an easier style hunt. Washington won't likely get this tag every year so it needs to be filled everytime we get one.. There are good rams there just hard to get to...
Why?  What's the downside to it not being filled for future WA hunters?

when/if the natives kill those certain sheep, we may not get a tag the following year. The rams may cross into Oregon for the winter, where they are accessible to those without rules.

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2022, 05:29:51 PM »
Idahohntr… it’s just my personal opinion that the tag should be filled based on how great of a tag it is and how hard it is to draw and it’s only the last two years we’ve gotten a wenaha sheep draw tag and it’s a year to year deal whether there will be another one…There’s no downside to it not being filled other than a lost opportunity to fill a tag most guys would love to have. The whole point of my post was only to remind folks the reality of how tough this unit is and if your not up for what it takes to even have a chance at success maybe apply for an easier and higher success rate hunt.. Same thing I’d say to anyone wanting to draw an east wenaha elk tag.. The country will make grown men cry…but to each their own apply away..

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2022, 05:46:05 PM »
Idahohntr… it’s just my personal opinion that the tag should be filled based on how great of a tag it is and how hard it is to draw and it’s only the last two years we’ve gotten a wenaha sheep draw tag and it’s a year to year deal whether there will be another one…There’s no downside to it not being filled other than a lost opportunity to fill a tag most guys would love to have. The whole point of my post was only to remind folks the reality of how tough this unit is and if your not up for what it takes to even have a chance at success maybe apply for an easier and higher success rate hunt.. Same thing I’d say to anyone wanting to draw an east wenaha elk tag.. The country will make grown men cry…but to each their own apply away..
:tup:
I've not paid close attention to how sheep tags are allocated - I was mostly curious if there was something about the allocation process that was in play.  Understand your point now. 

I've photographed and gotten some trail cam pics of what appear to me to be some really nice rams in wenaha east...agree on how serious that country is and without stock I would not have been hunting it.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2022, 11:43:31 PM »
For what it's worth I took nwhunter's comment out of context. It kind of felt like he was telling the tag holder that he didn't deserve the tag. I realize that was not his intention. I know he has helped numerous people on this site with hunting areas in the Blues and he is not wrong about the type of country you will get yourself into. I don't get why so many people even put in for tags in areas they are not familiar with anyways. My buddy drew the Watershed this year and went home the day after it snowed and didn't go back. He didn't think he could make it back into the hole. I told him there are some guys who will pack out his animal for a fee. No different than paying for out of state tags and trip costs. I sent him a text that day asking if he needed snowshoes and he still hasn't responded to me. He's probably feeling a bit bummed I'm sure. The more I think about it the more I understand where you are coming from. Hopefully we get something from the OP about what went wrong and what went right on this hunt. If anything...

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2022, 06:40:24 AM »

Why do I feel like the “the country will make grown men cry” line is directed towards me Scotty? :dunno: :chuckle:

I for one will NOT be applying for that tag!😉

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2022, 07:51:33 AM »

Why do I feel like the “the country will make grown men cry” line is directed towards me Scotty? :dunno: :chuckle:

I for one will NOT be applying for that tag!😉
🤔😆😆 Well I think it’s  broke a few good men…

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2022, 08:00:25 AM »
I can think of worse places to die, the wenaha is heaven on earth. 

Offline time2hunt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2022, 09:59:29 AM »
Any reports if the Oregon governor sheep tag filled yet? A lot of money spent this year to hunt that ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]