collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon Draws  (Read 1998 times)

Offline mp.hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Oregon Draws
« on: April 27, 2023, 02:37:34 PM »
So I’m sitting at 9 pts for deer and elk. I’m not sure how to use my points, once I burn them I’m done there in OR and don’t mind waiting a few more years.

For Elk:
I could maybe get Snake River but would look into a drop camp. Other ideas are Ochoco, Murders Creek or Starkey or could wait a couple more years for Sled springs archery.

For Deer:
I could get Owyhee rifle or Beatys Butte but willing to wait for the late Applegate Muzzy tag or Steens, anyone have any thought on these hunts?

Thanks,
MP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hoytxl2009

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: Oregon Draws
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 08:33:19 PM »
Snake river is awesome place, but that country can humble you very quickly.  Sled springs is sitting at 13 points for a NR as of now, but who knows where it will be in four years once you reach that. If it was me I'd hold out for sled and hope it stays at 13. Been in both units quiet a bit and both are awesome areas. Very mild country in sled.

Offline mp.hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 06:44:06 AM »
Snake river is awesome place, but that country can humble you very quickly.  Sled springs is sitting at 13 points for a NR as of now, but who knows where it will be in four years once you reach that. If it was me I'd hold out for sled and hope it stays at 13. Been in both units quiet a bit and both are awesome areas. Very mild country in sled.
I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 02:14:47 PM »
For deer, I would burn them in Owyhee. My buddy has been able to hunt it twice in a row, 2020 and 2021, their group of 5 or 6 hunters all bagged bucks with a few very nice ones. It’s big country but with a scouting trip and good planning I think this is probably one of the best options.
2nd choice would be Murderers creek. But you have more than the needed points for that unit.
I don’t think you have enough points to catch up to the Steens unit. You’re decades away from drawing that hunt.

Offline mp.hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 06:52:17 PM »
For deer, I would burn them in Owyhee. My buddy has been able to hunt it twice in a row, 2020 and 2021, their group of 5 or 6 hunters all bagged bucks with a few very nice ones. It’s big country but with a scouting trip and good planning I think this is probably one of the best options.
2nd choice would be Murderers creek. But you have more than the needed points for that unit.
I don’t think you have enough points to catch up to the Steens unit. You’re decades away from drawing that hunt.
Thank you

Offline Browndawg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 12:41:20 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm contemplating a Sled rifle tag just so I can be done with it and hunt with my Oregon buddies every other year in our normal spot where it's a draw hunt now. I think you can draw the rifle tag with just 6 points, but it's only a five day hunt with no bugles and probably snow.

Offline robescc

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 01:13:58 PM »
I was part of the 2020 group that finnman spoke about. I would burn my points in a heartbeat to do it again. In fact, I was just there last weekend and can't wait to go back. We went 6 for 6 in 2020 and got some very nice bucks.
Sled Springs is 8 points for a non-resident. I burned my points there last year during the rifle season and got a nice 6x6 opening morning. There were a ton of bulls there and would not hesitate to do it again.
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 07:57:33 AM »
I was in the same boat with a lot of points but wanting to start burning them. Decided to go for antelope and use that time to scout for deer. I’ve hunted some of the NE units but don’t know much about the SE corner.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 02:33:02 PM »
Talking about lots of points….my wife has 28 points for 600 antlerless deer in Oregon.
We have been holding off for the later opening date on the Umatilla wildlife refuge buck hunt and this year it happened.
Perhaps this will be a sure thing with her having more points than any other person in the 600 series. They only give out one non-resident tag.

Here’s to waiting a long time….but if she gets it…there be some hogs hiding in that Russian olive…

Offline Halo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 05:28:58 PM »
Talking about lots of points….my wife has 28 points for 600 antlerless deer in Oregon.
We have been holding off for the later opening date on the Umatilla wildlife refuge buck hunt and this year it happened.
Perhaps this will be a sure thing with her having more points than any other person in the 600 series. They only give out one non-resident tag.

Here’s to waiting a long time….but if she gets it…there be some hogs hiding in that Russian olive…
I've been putting in for that also but I'm   back at 21 points.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 06:09:52 PM »
I had the one tag in 2011, drew it with 17 points. I cry today in my cereal over the buck I missed…..largest buck I have ever seen in the wild. Period.  :'(

Offline stew pidasso

• GHOST FEET
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Shoot straight
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 10:01:25 AM »

:yeah:
Don't forget your spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]