collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yak. res quail  (Read 6698 times)

Offline fishunt247

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Yak. res quail
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
You can't go by their predictions. The count the young birds they see on the road. In years of heavy cover, they don't see many. If you remember 2 or 3 years ago they said the numbers were WAY down, and it was a near banner year. Believe the numbers if you want, I'm not. They have cut a lot of the corn earlier than last year, but there is still quite a bit of it standing. So we will see.

Offline GUHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 07:03:01 PM »
I've been hunting the same areas near Wapato for the past 11 years and where we hunt the numbers seem slightly below average. We saw our fair share of birds opening weekend, but we always do. The coveys seem smaller than most years.
Everyone has something to teach, so listen up

Offline 87Ford

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »
"You can't go by their predictions"

First of all, these numbers are not predictions.  They are the ACTUAL number of birds per mile observed during brood counts.  Take it for what it's worth.  I never said whether these counts meant much or not.  Sheesh.  I think they are interesting to look at though and do give some indication as to the bird populations.

"In years of heavy cover"

I've hunted the reservation off and on for 20 years and the cover always looks the same to me.  What I have noticed is a few more houses in areas we used to hunt and more of the weed fields we used to hunt being returned to crop production.    

Offline fishunt247

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
In my experience, the weedy fields, asparagas patches (I hunt private land quite a bit), and ditches change yearly. One year a field could have sparse cover, the next it could be so thick it's tough to walk through. They seem to change every year. But that's my experience.

Offline antlerbolic_bearoids

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 05:55:21 PM »
"You can't go by their predictions"

First of all, these numbers are not predictions.  They are the ACTUAL number of birds per mile observed during brood counts.  Take it for what it's worth.  I never said whether these counts meant much or not.  Sheesh.  I think they are interesting to look at though and do give some indication as to the bird populations.

"In years of heavy cover"

I've hunted the reservation off and on for 20 years and the cover always looks the same to me.  What I have noticed is a few more houses in areas we used to hunt and more of the weed fields we used to hunt being returned to crop production.    

Look at those numbers all you want.  Add them up, multiply, subtract, divide, make a pie chart if you want; they don't mean anything.  They count the birds they see along the road on the edges of good nesting areas.  You bet they are ACTUAL numbers, but if you see high populations of birds at three fields how can you estimate the numbers for the entire yakima indian reservation?  So yes, they most certainly are predictions. Apparently you have spent all of your 20 years at the same three fields, because that's about how many haven't changed every year.  Not to step on any toes, but those numbers are a waste of time and money being spent to collect them.

http://www.ynwildlife.org/uplandbird/whatever it takes to sell rez permits 

Offline fishunt247

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »
http://www.ynwildlife.org/uplandbird/whatever it takes to sell rez permits
This is key. And a good point. Kinda like the "record" springer runs we get every year, and then people are hardpressed to find a damn fish. I agree though, it will get better once the corn comes down, but there won't be numbers like years past.

Offline 87Ford

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 09:00:40 PM »
Look at those numbers all you want.  Add them up, multiply, subtract, divide, make a pie chart if you want; they don't mean anything.  They count the birds they see along the road on the edges of good nesting areas.  You bet they are ACTUAL numbers, but if you see high populations of birds at three fields how can you estimate the numbers for the entire yakima indian reservation?  So yes, they most certainly are predictions. Apparently you have spent all of your 20 years at the same three fields, because that's about how many haven't changed every year.  Not to step on any toes, but those numbers are a waste of time and money being spent to collect them.

You sound really bitter.  I hope you feel better.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:12:30 PM by 87Ford »

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »
I'm not bitter at all.  I love pheasant and quail hunting more than you could ever imagine.  I was raised on it and enjoy nothing as much as I do hunting pheasants.  Well one thing but we won't go into that.  Yes, I do believe that at times the game department inflates numbers to sell permits, licenses, punch cards, ect.  I didn't mean to hurt your feelings 87ford, but hunting is not a science.  As I said before you can rack off as many figures and numbers as you want and it doesn't mean a thing.  Somebody with a counter and clipboard is not going to make or break my season.   If the 2009 bird tally on that website stated that there were 14 roosters scattered from the top of satus pass to Ahtanum Crick, I would still buy my paperwork, and I would find 15.  I'm not cocky, I'm not blowing my own horn, I'm just saying that numbers and predictions mean nothing.  Especially considering how early they conduct those counting missions.  One of my very good friends knows one of these biologists personally, and they talk several times every year, and even he, the biologist, says the numbers mean $hit.  If you want to go by the numbers fine.  If your brain works off of data and equations and global warming then fine.  There is no room in my world of hunting for numbers, except for gas mileage and the number of shells I have.

By the way I was in kindergarten in 1993 and killed quail in my back yard with my pellet gun all the time.  Two limits that made me the envy of the neighborhood.  Some of my fondest memories.  What is a kindergartner going to say when you look at him and say "no use in going hunting son, the Indian biologist reported low numbers in the quail hatch this year.  Better sit on our thumbs and wait until 2003 when things are going to turn around."

They are just numbers man.  Don't get worked up. Go hunting, and enjoy it while it lasts.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:00:09 PM by antlerbolic_bearoids »

Offline 87Ford

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 10:49:43 AM »
Two limits that made me the envy of the neighborhood.  Some of my fondest memories.  What is a kindergartner going to say when you look at him and say "no use in going hunting son, the Indian biologist reported low numbers in the quail hatch this

You're quite full of yourself, huh?  Dude, I never said anything about huntin' there or not based on these numbers.  And yes, I love charts, graphs and "pie charts" too.  Look at the numbers or don't.  Take them for what they're worth.  Which according to you is nothing.  Oh, and get over yourself! 

Offline duchunter

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »
Wow sounds like you guys need a go have a slice of Blue Berry Pie at the Blue Grouse  :IBCOOL:

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 12:37:21 PM »
I knew you would get hung up on those comments 87ford.  How am I into myself by recalling some of my childhood memories that hooked me on the outdoors?  You brought up data ranging over a ten year period.  Who cares?  All I was saying was those numbers might be interesting to look at, but they aren't accurate predictions.  There are so many factors that contribute to good or bad bird numbers.  Research that.  Like I said I didn't want to hurt your feelings or get into a pissing match over something like this.  Good luck this year, and I hope you find good numbers of birds.  Maybe we'll run into each other.   :hello:

Offline Boom Stick

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 03:45:37 PM »
We hunted the Res yesterday with three dogs.  We saw two Roosters and a couple hens, but no quail.  We spoke with several other groups of hunters and they reported pretty much the same thing.  Some of those "Feel Free to Hunt" area's are a real trick to find. 

Offline 12 gauge watergun

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 08:15:16 AM »
went hunting this weekend and got a limit on sunday by wapato.  It was a blast but only saw one hen.  Whats up with that? :mgun:

Offline fishunt247

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 05:30:30 PM »
That's because the pheasant numbers are at a ten year high, obviously, from the prediction given by the Nation bioligists.  ;)
To hell with their "science," it's not a good pheasant year on the Rez.

Offline SnowDog

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
Hit the Wapato wildlife area yesterday and found a limit of quail. The two coveys I worked were down closer to the river.

Cheers!
SnowDog
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dogs have all the qualities God said man should have but don't: Faithfulness, Steadfastness, Dependability, Loyalty, Forgiveness, Devotion, Hope, and Love!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]