collapse

Author Topic: New hunter with Son wanting to start hunting in 2016  (Read 13102 times)

Offline lamrith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
    • pelletpeddler.com
New hunter with Son wanting to start hunting in 2016
« on: December 10, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »
New hunter myself, in my 2nd year hunting.  I have been pursuing archery, gotten close a few times but no ethical shot opportunities, but ohhhh man is the rush addictive working in so close!
My 13yrd old (today) son has started asking about going hunting with me.  I have been hesitant because I have not harvested an animal and have very little in the way of hunting tactics/knowledge to share with him.  Hunting is hard enough without added frustration for a young hunter of being shown how by someone that is new themselves... That said I want to start working and moving forward to get him ready to hunt next year.  I know he will need to go thru hunter safety class, I am a member at a local range that holds classes every year so that is not a big deal to get taken care of, and range time is also easy.

Weapon - He has already said he does not want to do archery which makes sense to me so that he does not have to get as close so the chances of success are much higher so he can make a harvest and gain experience.  I have had him to the range before, he shoots decently with the 22lr obviously being his favorite, he has also shot my 223 and 6.5grendel.  I also have a 300blk and and working toward buying a 308 bolt gun myself.  I am setup to reload for all four calibers.  My son is getting tall fast but is slight of build and recoil will be an issue so 308 I know is out of the question.
  • The problem is they are all AR platform and for him I think a bolt action would be best for a new hunter?
  • Any recommendation on caliber?  I could see 300blk bolt gun as a good shorter range option for deer.  Being a new hunter I would not think it is advisable to be taking shots much past 150yrds anyway?  I have seen 7-08mm, 243 and a few others thrown around lately as well.  I have also considered having a Bolt gun built in Grendel for myself, but hoped to settle on a more standard big game caliber though I think it would be a good middle ground for him and me.  I am thinking deer would be 1st goal, but would like "enough" gun for elk if he takes that step so it would be nice to have something with reach and power for down the road a few years.
Harvest -Call me old school, but to me if you cannot at least field dress your harvest you should not be taking game.  It is a matter of respect between hunter and prey.  Hunting is is not about killing, it is taking game to put food on the table respectfully.  Not having that knowledge or knowing if I could do it kept me from attempting to hunt for years until an out of state family member let me be spectator on a hunt and was involved with the field dressing.  I have no concerns about my ability to gut and process and animal, but since I have not taken one myself so I have no way to show him first hand the big picture and what is involved once you have your animal down and the real work begins.
  • How do you pros recommend I get things rolling with him in terms learning and understanding what is involved once the animal is down?
  • I could show him the many Youtube videos out there on various methods and see how he does?  This is probably my biggest concern because I know that not everyone can handle the site and smell of dressing and processing a down animal to get it out of the field.

Seasons - Being new myself I am not familiar with the draws here in WA, I have just done OTC Archery each year.  I have specifically avoided Modern season due to the stories I have seen here and also heard 1st hand from numerous fellow hunters.  I do not want to take my son out into that Chaos but he will be hunting with modern so...?
  • I see in the regs there are youth hunts, are they usually segregated from other modern hunts, or is it just that they let youth take Does as well?
  • Any recommendations on hunt to put in for that might not have high general season hunter volume for a quieter hunt his 1st year or two?  I would really like to stay out of the zoo, pumpkin patch madness with him.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated either here so others can learn or Via PM.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:24:31 PM by lamrith »

Offline Shooting Stix

• Shooting Stix Safaris
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Joshua Godfrey/shooting stix safaris
    • Shootingstixsafaris.com
Re: New hunter with Son wanting to start hunting in 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 03:01:07 PM »
Book one of my hunts to get you started and have some success with your bow to grow experience and confidence in the field
Promoting Hunting around the world while working as an Active duty Air Force member. Shootingstixsafaris.com offers hunts that are adventures in many countries.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:34:25 PM »
I am setup to reload for all four calibers.  My son is getting tall fast but is slight of build and recoil will be an issue so 308 I know is out of the question.
If you reload, you can make some 308 loads that will be as mild as anything else.

My son was shooting my 300 Win Mag at age 10, with mild ammunition.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 03:58:34 PM »
Since he is hunting modern you can concentrate totally on him. If he shoots one before you harvest you can learn to field dress together. I'd rather field dress for someone than see them quit hunting. (I field dressed and dragged my nieces deer down the hill and she ground up my hamburger, for me, that was a great trade!) Since you live on the Westside there are a lot of places in the hills that shouldn't be too crowded, especially in timber. Find a little open spot that has deer sign, then sit and watch it. Rain is good hunting weather and should not be skipped! Don't ask him to shoot off hand but use shooting sticks till he is more confident. Be very patient with missed opportunities and missed shots they are all part of learning. He will remember the misses and process what he did wrong then change. Learning how to process your meat takes practice. You can ask a fellow hunter that lives near you to help. Someone is always ready to be part of the action if they have time.  Good luck next fall!

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
I have to agree with Bob33, the .308 should be fine for him.  My second deer was with a .308 at age 13, and I was on the smaller side, though it was a semi-auto. But as mentioned, reduce recoil loads are common and would be a good starting point for him.

Other than maybe being on the heavy side, I also think that the big game legal ARs would be an acceptable alternative.

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »

• Any recommendations on hunt to put in for that might not have high general season hunter volume for a quieter hunt his 1st year or two? 
Put him in for everything you can afford.  His chances of drawing a WA moose permit are much better than yours.   What unit(s) do you hunt deer in? is there any special permits in that area like youth antlerless deer?
A bolt action .308 WIN is a great beginner rifle.  Since you already reload .300BLK you probably have some light weight 30 caliber bullets kicking around.    I started my girlfriend off hunting deer with a .308WIN, I loaded a 125gr Sierra at about 2500 FPS and over a year or so I worked it up to a pretty hot 165gr load for elk.   She never seemed to notice the increase in recoil. 

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »
The funny thing with kids starting hunting is that many people will start them out on a 20g but think a rifle is too much recoil.

Rifle weight     Recoil energy     Recoil velocity

.243 Win. (100 at 2960)            7.5                   8.8                     8.7
.260 Rem. (120 at 2860)          7.5                  13.0                    10.6
6.5mm Grendel (120 at 2600)    7.5                  8.9                     8.8
.308 Win. (150 at 2800)            7.5                  15.8                     11.7
.30-06 Spfd. (150 at 2910)    8.0                  17.6                     11.9
20 gauge, 2.75" (7/8 at 1200) 6.5                  16.1
20 gauge, 2.75" (1 at 1220)    6.5                  21.0

Offline Jolten

• Political Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:20:30 PM »
If you and your son ever make it to Yakima let me know and I'll let your son shoot my Savage Axis .243 so he can tell you if it feels good to him.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline ckr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »
The 308 is a awesome round for kids.  My 10 year old shoots his Ruger American compact loaded with 150s going at 2500.  It's a nice mild load.  He started out with much softer rounds and we have worked up to this.  Good luck

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »
If you hunt locally, and harvest one you can bring it by my place I can walk you through everything, pm me if you need a contact number.  I would look at a youth modern whitetail doe hunt in one of the eastern units for his first deer, permission should be pretty easy to get for a kid, and in allot of places it can be a pretty easy hunt to at least get him started.  My kids started with a .243, and both started pretty young.  We have never had to track an animal they have shot, they have all went down instantly, and they have taken quite a few over the years.

Offline JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 06:42:08 PM »
7mm-08 and it is made in a Vanguard Youth the last time I checked. 

I had a friend who had a 243 and a 7mm-08 that were identical and he loaded up light loads for the 243 and his kids were so comfortable and proficient with it that when he substituted full on 243 and 7mm-08 loads when they first started hunting (he snuck it to the range and resighted the scope) they took a deer and one of them even an elk and neither was so much the wiser.  They knew not that the recoil was going to be heavier when they shot an animal and neither even noticed it.  Funny how that happens when shooting game. 

He said that if he didn't have the 243 it would not have made any difference, he was able to load 7mm-08 loads that were almost as mild as the light 243s. 

I know there is a hands on class on butchering hogs on Vashon Island.  Two weeks later they have a sausage making class.  I don't know who they are, but there is nothing like getting some experience taking care of meat in a controlled classroom environment.  I can't help you w/the specifics but I know the class exists. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:49:44 PM by JDHasty »

Offline lamrith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • pelletpeddler.com
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »
Wow guys, that is awesome info!  I will try and hit some of these in order..

308 - DOH!  I had totally forgot that they even make factory low recoil loads for 308!  Makes perfect sense now that I think about it.  I do not have any real light bullets for the 300blk, but I have lots of 150grn bullets and will look into low recoil loads for that if possible.  I reload for it, but do not currently have a 308 rifle in the arsenal, good reason to buy another one!

Grendel - My AR loaded out with heavy glass is 9.5#, so a touch heavy, but as the chart shows the recoil is extremely light ANND I already have it!!  I was just honestly uncertain about a young inexperience hunter and a semi auto.  Post shot excitement etc with another round already chambered, but training can work on that, he does have good trigger discipline so far.  I could also just have the one round in chamber and no mag in the gun, so a second round is not automatically chambered..

I have a tripod with U block to shoot off of, so he can have a solid front rest too.

Processing - I really appreciate the offers to help, I may take you guys up on it just to learn more!  I am not worried about me being able to process what we take to get it in coolers and home for finish work.  What I don't want is that he shoots it and does nothing more, he has to help and take part in getting it in the freezer and was curious how others have handled that.  I like the idea of if not help field dress at least help make the burger.
 :tup:

I know a spot this side that holds lots of deer but I think during modern it gets pretty busy.  It is where I am hunting late archery trying to get it done, was out in rain last week and everything was hiding in deep trees not coming out, but area was loaded with sign.  I have seen deer but only does.  There is a youth antlerless hunt, only 5 permits though and avg points tells me 3yrs to get drawn for it.  The neighboring unit also has one at the same time with slightly higher odds, I will ask a friend that lives there about huntable land. 

To put him in for hunts does he need to have Hunters Ed completed already, or does that come later when we actually go to buy the tags?  Do We have to put in as a group so double the app fee or is it just him?  I have put in for multiseason so hopefully drawn and am free to hunt any time.  I do not put in for draws normally so the entire process is new to me..

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »
He would need a Wild Id # to apply, but that can be gotten with a fishing license.  He could probably apply for tags other than elk and deer w/o the HS class, but I don't know about deer.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 08:40:39 PM »
He would need a Wild Id # to apply, but that can be gotten with a fishing license.  He could probably apply for tags other than elk and deer w/o the HS class, but I don't know about deer.
He will need a license to apply for deer and elk.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 08:55:14 PM »
Harvest -Call me old school, but to me if you cannot at least field dress your harvest you should not be taking game.  It is a matter of respect between hunter and prey.  Hunting is is not about killing, it is taking game to put food on the table respectfully.  Not having that knowledge or knowing if I could do it kept me from attempting to hunt for years until an out of state family member let me be spectator on a hunt and was involved with the field dressing.  That said I have not taken one myself so I have no way to show him first hand the big picture and what is involved once you have your animal down and the real work begins. 
•How do you pros recommend I get things rolling with him in terms learning and understanding what is involved once the animal is down?
•I could show him the many Youtube videos out there on various methods and see how he does?  This is probably my biggest concern because I know that not everyone can handle the site and smell of dressing and processing a down animal to get it out of the field.

Start with farm animals ahead of time. Search for a meat rabbit grower ahead of time and take your son to process some rabbits.  I've had people ask if they could come out to my place on rabbit butchering day and bring kids.  It's a lot less intimidating than looking at a deer laying there in the bush a mile from the truck or more.  A deer isn't so much different than a rabbit, and if your son say's "oh, this is just a great big rabbit! " then the battle is half over there.

A quick craigslist search brings up lot's of ads for meat rabbits, here is one that grabbed my attention
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/5310209895.html
We are a small family farm and we raise New Zealand rabbits for meat, for show and for pets.   That tells me they butcher on the farm and might not be adverse to selling you some meat rabbits and showing you how to process them, or you could take them home and do it there.  If you really wanted some practice on an animal that is almost exactly like a deer find a meat goat farm.  It's better to get your hands bloody under controlled conditions than learn it all when it's raining, cold and miles from a truck.

I make millennial's cry when I attempt to text from my phone. 

Offline kschadel

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
This is my second year hunting and first year filling my tag and harvesting. I was super nervous about the smell, but it honestly wasn't that bad. I met a gentleman on the woman's forum and went hunting with him this year. He has harvested the last three years and was able to show me the ropes. I watched numerous youtube videos to get acclimated to what I would experience in the field. Just getting familiar with what it looks like is a huge help. Then if it's possible to harvest with someone that's done it before, that helps too. Bottom line, don't be afraid to just dive in. The biggest thing for me with harvesting is that you have to be careful with your first cuts. It's awful if you nick the bladder, bowels, or gut sack, so make shallow cuts. There are a couple ways to harvest, so check them out. But if you can go with someone that's done it before, I highly recommend it. The guy I went with would process one quarter and then I would do the other.

Bottom line, have fun and dive in! It's a blast!

Offline James E

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
My son started out with a .243 at an early age. I would stay away from youth rifles. He will out grow them.

Offline JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 03:50:44 PM »
My son started out with a .243 at an early age. I would stay away from youth rifles. He will out grow them.

The Vanguard/Howa full size stocks are for sale all over the internet for <$50.  I think they come in a package deal and people sell them.  That is another reason I mentioned the Vanguard up thread.   

Offline lamrith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • pelletpeddler.com
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »
really great info folks, it is helping me bigtime. :tup:

Gun wise I am leaning very strongly toward working on training and having him use my AR.  The adjustable stock makes it very easy to adjust for him and the grendel is very light recoil with plenty of power for big game.

Offline JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
really great info folks, it is helping me bigtime. :tup:

Gun wise I am leaning very strongly toward working on training and having him use my AR.  The adjustable stock makes it very easy to adjust for him and the grendel is very light recoil with plenty of power for big game.

Very good reasoning regarding the adj stock.  I had a bunch of loose parts in my "bag of tricks," including a light weight barrel and adj stock - so I put together an AR for my six-year old to shoot. 

Re: the 6.5 Grendel, it has marginally enough power for big game.  It is just fine IF you hit them where they need to be hit (right in near the middle of the big part).  But then throw in the FACT that you have no experience blood trailing big game. 

You really want to have a big game animal leaking buckets of blood with a double lung hit ESPECIALLY in western Washington's rain and our heavy foliage.

Our ungulates, black tail deer and especially elk, have notoriously high tenacity of life.  They are tough customers and being DRT (dead right there) is the exception.  Do a search and read about what I recommend for slug gun hunting blacktails and you will see that I am all about a 12 gage slug WHERE I HUNT because it will cause a LEAK that ANYONE can follow.   

I am saying 7mm-08 because it has enough energy, out where it counts, and enough oomph bullet i.e. weight and integrity, out where it counts, to shoot through if you don't get a piece of shoulder going in and break the game down DRT.  The 308 others recommend likewise. 

With that 6.5 Grendel you are starting with a 6.2x39 case and I have serious reservations regarding energy out where he might shoot.  If the range is close and bullet performance is what the bullet was designed to deliver at impact velocity, every thing MAY work out just fine.... may be.  But you guys need a big leak if everything does not work out as you planned and an entrance hole NEVER bleeds like an exit hole. 

I come up against this 6.5 Grendel/300 Blackout question often because so many new to the game hunters have ARs.  Yes, in the hands of an experienced hunter, they are viable options.  I think that they are championed because every one who hunts wants to see new hunters join our ranks though.   

My advice is:  if your family budget can absorb it, and it sounds like this is an option,  go afield with an honest to God big game rifle that the lad can comfortable handle the recoil from.   

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 09:37:53 PM »
Regarding a good place to take your son deer hunting, although it is not my place to say this, that area behind RJ's place holds a bunch of deer, I can assure you of that.  It seems to me you need to do some negotiating with the wife (his, not yours).   :tup:

Good on you for doing this.  It is hard for a new hunter to teach another new hunter.  Learn together, stay together.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Smoke

• Hunter
  • Groups: Skouckum Archery
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:32 PM »
welcome and it's great your son want to join in the sport as well....  lot of good advice already given, but would like to add... ya might think Muzzy for your son..  more of a hard push then a kick, and a 50 cal loaded down with 55 grains of FF and patched roundball,  still has plenty of knockdown for deer, without bruising the sons shoulder..  plus even reloading, they are a lot cheeper to shoot then centerfire..

Offline JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 10:39:18 PM »
welcome and it's great your son want to join in the sport as well....  lot of good advice already given, but would like to add... ya might think Muzzy for your son..  more of a hard push then a kick, and a 50 cal loaded down with 55 grains of FF and patched roundball,  still has plenty of knockdown for deer, without bruising the sons shoulder..  plus even reloading, they are a lot cheeper to shoot then centerfire..

:yeah:

Offline lamrith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • pelletpeddler.com
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
I HAVE, been thinking of adding a muzzy just to cover all 3 seasons...  so 50 over 54?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Bullkllr

• Political Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
Harvest -Call me old school, but to me if you cannot at least field dress your harvest you should not be taking game.  It is a matter of respect between hunter and prey.  Hunting is is not about killing, it is taking game to put food on the table respectfully.  Not having that knowledge or knowing if I could do it kept me from attempting to hunt for years until an out of state family member let me be spectator on a hunt and was involved with the field dressing.  That said I have not taken one myself so I have no way to show him first hand the big picture and what is involved once you have your animal down and the real work begins. 
•How do you pros recommend I get things rolling with him in terms learning and understanding what is involved once the animal is down?
•I could show him the many Youtube videos out there on various methods and see how he does?  This is probably my biggest concern because I know that not everyone can handle the site and smell of dressing and processing a down animal to get it out of the field.

Start with farm animals ahead of time. Search for a meat rabbit grower ahead of time and take your son to process some rabbits.  I've had people ask if they could come out to my place on rabbit butchering day and bring kids.  It's a lot less intimidating than looking at a deer laying there in the bush a mile from the truck or more.  A deer isn't so much different than a rabbit, and if your son say's "oh, this is just a great big rabbit! " then the battle is half over there.

A quick craigslist search brings up lot's of ads for meat rabbits, here is one that grabbed my attention
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/5310209895.html
We are a small family farm and we raise New Zealand rabbits for meat, for show and for pets.   That tells me they butcher on the farm and might not be adverse to selling you some meat rabbits and showing you how to process them, or you could take them home and do it there.  If you really wanted some practice on an animal that is almost exactly like a deer find a meat goat farm.  It's better to get your hands bloody under controlled conditions than learn it all when it's raining, cold and miles from a truck.

Really good idea.

If you fish. cleaning fish might be a great starting point. If you don't fish, consider starting. Plenty of practice cleaning "critters" of any kind helps and fish are probably easiest to start with.
"yoogle that on your google"

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
I HAVE, been thinking of adding a muzzy just to cover all 3 seasons...  so 50 over 54?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yes, more versatile and lighter to carry around.  Figure out what you  want to shoot out of it and get the appropriate twist rate.

Offline JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
I bought a Lyman Deerstalker in 54 for $175 a few months ago.  They are light and handy.  A Thompson White Mountain Carbine is essentially the same thing.  All the older side lock muzzle loaders will be showing up in pawn shops and in Little Nickle especially after hunting season at great prices. 

The carbines like these two are really handy.  50 or 54 are about the same, the 50 is easier to get bullets for. 

Offline Birdguy

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
Good for you and your son wish you guys both the best  :tup:. I would without question get your son into a hunters education class and TAKE IT WITH HIM!! Gun handling and our hunting regs are things anyone in the woods these days should be well versed in  :twocents:. We met several nice folks in the class when I took my kids some guys were even offering access to new hunters in the class.
   As for permits I put my son in for all deer youth and adult options, moose and big horn for youth. We stay away from the elk as I do not have that much time  :chuckle:, and neither does he with school, sports and scouts. My son is 13 and weighs 105 (he has less then 2% body fat as he like to share (thanks DR  :bash:) but has always been small. He has been shooting his .243 since he was 7 and his big sisters .270 since he was 10. If your boy is confident with the .22 and .223 he will do great with a .308 loaded light.

Get him out there with you and having fun and the success of the hunt may never be measured in notched tags.

Offline lamrith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • pelletpeddler.com
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
SO been a while since I posted on this.  Spoke with son again a few times during my late season hunt.  Spoke with mom and now have him and I signed up for Hunters Ed and have questions.  With school load and the way they eat 3 entire weekday evenings in a row I had to schedule his class out in July/Aug.

I have never put in for a draw here before so am unfamiliar with how it works.  Based on what I have seen to put in for a draw you must have a license.  For my son the only way to get a license is AFTER he passes the class.  So the way I read it, that means that for this year I will not be able to put him in for any of the youth tags since the draws must be submitted in April/May.

Do I have that correct?

I am hoping maybe I can get him practicing and strength up to do Archery so less Chaos and pumpkin patch to deal with, but that is a whole other situation...

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »
You're correct. He will need a deer license to apply for deer permits and an elk license to apply for deer permits.

However he could apply for moose, sheep, and mountain goat if he's interested in any of those.

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
Yes he will need the license to put in for permits.  So for this year no permits but the odds of drawing a permit are pretty slim with only one point anyways.

Good news is he is 13 and that makes him a youth. There are a bunch of units that are open during the general season for youth to take does.  Take him on one of those and I am sure even with the pumpkin patch you will see lots of deer and have an opportunity at a deer for him.

Also the units that are open for youth to take does during the general season seem to have less pressure/hunter density than some of the other areas.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Curly

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
Make sure to get him out hunting grouse in September.  Also, you should look into going out of state for some good success on deer to really put the hunting bug in him.  I recommend looking into Wyoming, where you could get several anterless tags and have virtually 100% chance at success.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline lamrith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • pelletpeddler.com
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 01:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the info and ideas!

WY, if I remember it right they require all out of state hunters to hire a licensed guide?  That combined with tag price would put it well out of my reach financially at least right now.

Offline Curly

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »
No guide necessary in Wyoming. At least not in the areas that you can get cheap antlrless tags.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Buckhunter28

• Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »
I have to agree with Bob33, the .308 should be fine for him.  My second deer was with a .308 at age 13, and I was on the smaller side, though it was a semi-auto. But as mentioned, reduce recoil loads are common and would be a good starting point for him.

Other than maybe being on the heavy side, I also think that the big game legal ARs would be an acceptable alternative.

I have to agree as well, I took my first deer when I was 12 with a .308 and normal loads, so he he should be able to handle it

Offline Smoke

• Hunter
  • Groups: Skouckum Archery
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
If recoil and crowds are a problem for your son, ya might think Black Powder... What I did with my 10 yr old grandson... he should be able to handle any of the 50's out there and they more push hard rather then kick, and the crowds will be less (tho there seem to be more every year)... as for field dressing/cleaning your kills... best way to learn is by doing... my first big game a buddy watched as he told me the process and after one it was easy... to help with the squeamish part, maybe start him on small game... rabbits, coyotes, birds... process is pretty much the same on a smaller scale, and less blood so maybe he won't puke as much the first few times... after he does a few, then the big ones don't seem as gross...

Offline lamrith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • pelletpeddler.com
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 02:13:33 PM »
Thanks guys!!  Gives me lots to work with.

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
I'm a new hunter myself too. I also started learning to hunt by myself at 12 which means I got the all the best ways to learn for new hunters. I personally  have a .308 11/111 Savage Youth bolt action rifle. It's a great rifle with just enough kick to look cool. It also is enough caliber to take down any deer or elk at an affordable price. But it really depends on what caliber your son will feel comfortable shooting. Now for skinning, gutting, and even tanning hides I HIGHLY recommend going on YouTube and searching, "Richard Smith How To Gut A Deer". Have your son watch that video until he can tell you how to gut a deer backwards. It is definitely the best deer gutting video I have ever seen, Richard explains it very well and there's no shaky camera work. You may even want to make him a little "hunting guide" with a couple important things he should remember. What also will really help is take him scouting. Just go out before hunting season and hike as fare as you can go with all your hunting gear (bringing your rifle isn't required). Almost like your going hunting, walk slow thru the woods be quit and listen. But also be sure to show him things along the way like scat and rubs. That way he gets more familiar with deer signs. Good luck and if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me :tup:
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »
 :tup: great info for him. I had to learn by my self reading books and VHS tapes. New hunters have a leg up these days. I just want to say. Go east to Republic your son can take a Whitetail doe. Very easy hunt and like one member said. You guys can learn together. There is also a butcher in Curlew, Wa and he would show you how to gut your first deer. Page's Domestic & Wild Game #509-779-4519. You just load the deer whole in your truck and head to his place. He will either show you or guide thru gutting and skinning you for a small fee.
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

* Recent Topics

2 Trophy Whitetail Raffle Hunts NE Oregon by wallowavalley
[Today at 09:49:31 AM]

653?? by notellumcreek
[Today at 09:46:09 AM]

The Other deer by Whitenuckles
[Today at 09:26:48 AM]

2018, ELK, Post them here! by Whitenuckles
[Today at 09:24:59 AM]

2018 Coho MA 8-10 by Whitenuckles
[Today at 09:23:55 AM]