collapse

Author Topic: How old?  (Read 12702 times)

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
How old?
« on: April 24, 2016, 09:19:34 AM »
How old were you and your kids when you did hunter safety? Curious what the apropriate age is. I was 11 when I did it. My nephew was 10 years old.

Offline Timberstalker

• Busch Lite Rocks
  • Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
Re: How old?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
I was 8. I can barely remember it to tell you the truth. I feel like 10 is a good age to do it.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:36:12 AM »
I would like to put my son through at 10 or 11. It all depends on his maturity and ability to be responsible & trusted with a weapon. He will be 8 in July & is currently grounded till further notice from any kind of shooting or play hunting for his inability to follow safety rules. He frequently gets in trouble for hunting the dogs with this nerf gun and nerf bow. The straw that broke the camels back was he hid in the tulips like it was a ground blind & shot the neighbors service dog in the eye with a nerf gun. He was told not to do it by both me wife & the neighbor. He was lucky the dog was not hurt.

So to answer your question I believe it should be on maturity. My son at this rate will be a teen before he gets to go through it. 
God Bless,
Scott

Offline Timberstalker

• Busch Lite Rocks
  • Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
I would like to put my son through at 10 or 11. It all depends on his maturity and ability to be responsible & trusted with a weapon. He will be 8 in July & is currently grounded till further notice from any kind of shooting or play hunting for his inability to follow safety rules. He frequently gets in trouble for hunting the dogs with this nerf gun and nerf bow. The straw that broke the camels back was he hid in the tulips like it was a ground blind & shot the neighbors service dog in the eye with a nerf gun. He was told not to do it by both me wife & the neighbor. He was lucky the dog was not hurt.

So to answer your question I believe it should be on maturity. My son at this rate will be a teen before he gets to go through it.

I understand the problems here........ However, this is funny as hell.
Sorry you are having to deal with it.  He will learn from it.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »
My nephew is currently 7. Not planning on him doing hunter safety this year but I do trust his maturity. I believe his biggest struggle is hes a smaller kid. Hoping he has a growthspurt lol. Hes been out hunting with me since he could walk. My plan is that if he passes hunter safety in say a year I would have him hunting just ducks, Turkey's and maybe coyotes until he got a little older to try deer hunting.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »
My daughter passed her hunter's safety at age 11.  I sat in on several of the classes and there were quite a few parents that were obviously forcing their kids through the course. a lot of them were 5-9 years old.  There were also a couple of kids in their mid teens that had no business being there.  As said before, it all depends on maturity level of the kid and not the age or desire of the parent. 
P&Y bucks & bulls, predators and any game fish that swims!!
Life is too short to settle for dinks!

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 09:56:43 AM »
   I think it was about 1956, I was about 15.  that was the first year that it was required.  started hunting at about 10 and did not need it unless I was illegal.  mike w

Online jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »
I was 8 years old.  My daughter will probably do it next year at 9.

Offline MuleySniper

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • ridin dirty
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
My son just passed at the beginning of April. He's nine. He was the youngest kid in his class. Did very well, passed his written with a 70 out of 75. Start teaching basic weapons safely as early as possible as that is the major focus. I'll add he has spent a lot of time in the woods with his grandpa and I and that really helps too.
MS
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:15:06 AM by MuleySniper »
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline ghosthunter

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
I have taught Hunter Ed over 25 years. Do t rush them.
Let them be kids. A toy gun is a toy gun. A real gun is a real gun.

Generally if the child is doing well in school. They will be fine in Hunter Ed.
8 years old to 100.

I see folks every year bring their child to class knowing they are not ready,but hoping they might slide through. It's a dis- service to the kid and the kid who was ready but couldn't get a seat because the class was full.

Relax
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

Offline goosegunner

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 11:14:31 AM »
It defenitly comes down to maturity, not what age and all kids are different. I think the tuff part for the younger kids. Is sitting through a 4hr class every night for 4 nights. There's a lot of info to take in. I had twin boys that did it at age 9. One boy was completely fine and the other would check out mentally after a couple hours. He ended up not passing of course. So what I did with him was the online course where we could study and go at his pace. Then still after he passed and had a couple season under his belt I still made him go through the in class course.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »
9 years old back in '98 or '99.
“Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.”

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
I've never been to a hunter's ed class.

My daughter was 21 when she took it.  To me it has to be their idea to hunt and she didn’t express an interest until then.  My other daughters have yet to express interest and I expect they never will.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:29:41 AM by CP »

Online Dhoey07

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
I was 12.  Shooting an animal isn't a game,and I won't let my kids take hunter safety and buy a license for them until they understand that.  I doubt that most young kids understand exactly what they are doing or the responsibility that comes with taking an animal.  It's not if they can pass the class, or if they can hike the hills, it's if they should. 

Online Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
I never took one. Started hunting back before there was such a thing.
My daughter took it at nine years old. I sat through all the classes with her. She loved it and did very well.
I believe that the question of "when" to put a kid through the course has more to do with the individual childs ability to pay attention and learn and less to do with how old they are. If the kid has a desire to take the class and you are willing to put in the extra time to make sure the kid is absorbing the information then I say to go for it.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Thefisherman83

• Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
I was 11, only missed 1 on the written test and aced the field course.  This was in 94.
Hunting and Fishing are not matters of life or death... THEY ARE WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!!

"Nothing Makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Poles are for skiing, Rods are for fishing!
Team Loomis!

Online 7mmfan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
I was 12.  Shooting an animal isn't a game,and I won't let my kids take hunter safety and buy a license for them until they understand that.  I doubt that most young kids understand exactly what they are doing or the responsibility that comes with taking an animal.  It's not if they can pass the class, or if they can hike the hills, it's if they should.

I also did it at 12. And you are correct in making sure the kid knows exactly what is at stake when you hit the woods with a gun and a plan to kill something.

For me, I had been hunting with my Dad a few times, but had never seen an animal killed or been there for the field dressing/butchering. It was all new to me. I shot a nice buck in the first 20 minutes of my first day out. I was about 500 yards from my dad when I jumped him and shot him on the run at about 80 yards. I had to finish him when I got to him.  My very first realization was that that deer was running for his life and I killed him. I did a lot of growing up in that instant. I realized that it was not a game, I owed it to that animal to minimize his pain and suffering. I also realized that I was a predator, and it was what I was meant to do.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline BIGDOG253

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
  • Go COUGS!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
I was 11, there were kids younger than me in the class. I aced the field test but barely passed the written with an 80%  :yike:

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »
I did it at 12, but 11/12 is an appropriate age to me. I think a hunter should be old enough to know exactly how the gun works and be able to skin their own animal.
 But I agree with Gobble Gobble, it's also based on maturity. If you know they will be safe alone with a gun and won't shoot at the first thing they see, that's a good maturity level.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:45:35 PM by police women of America »
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 08:08:49 PM »
Age isn't a factor. Mostly you should look at desire without pushing, ability to handle a firearm, ability to take tests ( some kids just don't test will at a young age). My kids took it around 11-12 mostly because we had 4 girls within 3 years and we needed to ease into it. Taking them all hunting was a pretty big undertaking, but hugely rewarding. Easing one to two at a time as beginners was the best for us. This year my Grandson will be 10 and is taking it. He surprised me with it just a couple weeks ago and he happened to be at his Mom's the week he went and she took him!!! He didn't have any desire a year ago but I didn't push it. He tested well for his age on hands on. Tomorrow is the written and we'll see. He'd go with me so I'm not worried about it. He can just come along this year also. He loves to camp. So each child is an individual and my Grandson is a prime example of you never know! Good luck.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
I think I was 10-11 when I finally had to take the class so I could range farther afield. I had already been running over my buddies hundreds of acres and a few other places where licenses didn't apply, not that there were licenses for coyotes, prairie dogs, magpies, and porcupines that I knew of. I finally figured I better get a hs card and license when I started hitting public land for for rabbits. Couldn't hunt big game until 14 so that was not a problem.

Plan on working with my wife and daughter so she can get hers at ~9 if she is ready.

Offline jackmaster

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »
I was 12 but had been huntn with my dad since I was in 2 grade, my son took it and passed at 8 but I didn't let him hunt deer until he was 10 or 11, my daughter went when she was 12 and I didn't let her deer hunt until she was 14 , huntn came natural to my son it just took my daughter a little longer, they both had to show me they were ready, just because they go through hunters Ed doesn't mean they should be tromping the woods with a gun, make them prove to you that they can handle themselves, it's a pretty big deal the first time they actually drop the hammer on something other than birds..
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Frontiersman
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:46 PM »
I was 14, got my certificate at Tacoma Sportsman's Club about 1964/5. first tag at 14/5 because of dad's work schedule. Got a spike MD that year near Republic on my first hunt with dad.  I sure wish he could get out with me again but at 90 I don't think so.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline jmscon

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
I didn't go through the course until I was 25, that was 2003! My mom's dad was a fairly successful hunter but wasn't hunting anymore by the time I was old enough to get interested. My dad hunted a little bit but quit after him and another guy drew beads on each other!

I have a daughter that's two and one on the way. All I can do is hope that they might be into hunting but I'm not going to force it on them.

Patients is key, don't force them. When they are ready they will let you know.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
I think I was 40 and took it at the same time as my daughter who was 8 when the class started and turned 9 during the class.  She did great but we did a bunch of studying leading up to the class.

My youngest daughter took the class at 9 as well and passed with no issues, again we did a bunch of studying in advance of the class to get her familiar with the material.

I now teach hunter education and can say that it all depends on the kid.  Statistics say that the failure rate for kids under 10 is exponentially higher than those kids 10 and older.  Not to say you have to be at least 10 but statistically they have a better chance of passing.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.