collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sheep tags  (Read 11110 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Sheep tags
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
Okay, so I worded it incorrectly, maybe. I'm not a biologist. Did you read the info I posted from the WDFW? They want/need to reduce the population. So like I said, there's too many sheep. But that's according to the WDFW. You're free to disagree. But  only going by what the WDFW biologists say, and obviously they know a lot more about the situation than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »
Okay, so I worded it incorrectly, maybe. I'm not a biologist. Did you read the info I posted from the WDFW? They want/need to reduce the population. So like I said, there's too many sheep. But that's according to the WDFW. You're free to disagree. But  only going by what the WDFW biologists say, and obviously they know a lot more about the situation than I do.

Actually, you should re-read the first sentence in the quote you took. The Canyon sheep are in a decline, so they way I see it, there's not too many sheep.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »

Actually, you should re-read the first sentence in the quote you took. The Canyon sheep are in a decline, so they way I see it, there's not too many sheep.

But they're in decline because they're sick and the lambs aren't surviving. The entire herd could potentially die off if they can't get rid of the individuals that are sick. And therefore they want to reduce the numbers even further to help with that. That's how I understand it and I'm only going by what the WDFW is saying.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:42:02 PM by bobcat »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 05:32:20 PM »
I'm no sheep Bio but I did sleep at a Holiday inn express last night and it seems stupid to thin the heard like that so it's easier to identify the sick ones so they then can kill them.
There has to be a better way to do that
Carriers show zero signs.

I’ve never actually been on a cull hunt, but I know they were glassing for sick sheep from the canyon road and walking in the USDA guys to shoot them when they were culling them a few years back. Just to clarify... carriers may have zero sign, but the sheep that are beyond the carrier stage and that are sick are identifiable. Would you say that’s accurate?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
I'm no sheep Bio but I did sleep at a Holiday inn express last night and it seems stupid to thin the heard like that so it's easier to identify the sick ones so they then can kill them.
There has to be a better way to do that
Carriers show zero signs.

I’ve never actually been on a cull hunt, but I know they were glassing for sick sheep from the canyon road and walking in the USDA guys to shoot them when they were culling them a few years back. Just to clarify... carriers may have zero sign, but the sheep that are beyond the carrier stage and that are sick are identifiable. Would you say that’s accurate?
Carriers often never develop signs of the disease and live an apparently normal life while spreading the disease.  This is what leads to elimination of localized herds.  (This happened twice in recent memory) It's a very difficult disease and every herd in wa is at risk of cross contamination with domestic.

Offline ramslam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
It is my understanding the plan is to bring the numbers down in the five unique sub-populations to a herd size that a "Test and Cull" management can be applied.  Same thing was done a few years ago in Asotin when a spillover occurred.   As a couple folks have stated, the sick ones are not visibly sick and can continue to pass the M Ovi for years following the original outbreak.  The theory is along the lines of the "Typhoid Mary" situation from a hundred years ago where one seemingly healthy individual unknowingly infects others that are in proximity. 

Hopefully, hunters can reduce the herds down to sizes where animals can be tested multiple times over a year or two and those positive can be culled.  I think in Asotin it was only a couple ewes (out of 25 or so adult ewes) that repeatedly were infecting lambs and other adults.  Will it work? Who knows but I applaud Bernie and other staff for trying to figure out a way to turn the Umtanum and Selah herds around.   

Online time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2019, 03:56:09 PM »
Thank you your response is very much appreciated.

Local 3482

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »
I have a lot of questions on this....but it seems carriers would be one step closer to being resistant? 

All of this could be fixed by more man power?  Smaller herd makes it easier to test everyone more often?
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline shootem

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 07:26:54 PM »
Anyone know if the sick sheep are still edible or pose a health hazard to humans?

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »
I wish they would of thought of something like this before letting the tribe destroy the tieton herd then cleaning them up with the contracted guys

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 09:30:18 PM »
Anyone know if the sick sheep are still edible or pose a health hazard to humans?
They are edible,The pneumonia does not bother humans.

I remember when hunters were all up in arms when the state hired pro hunters to come in and cull the sheep saying things like the state should have allowed WA. hunters to buy the tags and hunt them instead so they were not wasted,Now they have done exactly that and some are unhappy with that decision?  :bash:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2019, 10:07:17 PM »
They are edible,The pneumonia does not bother humans.

I remember when hunters were all up in arms when the state hired pro hunters to come in and cull the sheep saying things like the state should have allowed WA. hunters to buy the tags and hunt them instead so they were not wasted,Now they have done exactly that and some are unhappy with that decision?  :bash:

Sounds about right.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
I remember when hunters were all up in arms when the state hired pro hunters to come in and cull the sheep saying things like the state should have allowed WA. hunters to buy the tags and hunt them instead so they were not wasted,Now they have done exactly that and some are unhappy with that decision?

IF this is the case I applaud them.....but when these outbreaks happen, they usually for the good of the herd, don't wait several months before the killing starts.  It's for that reason I'm still skeptical.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 11:42:34 PM »
if we kull the herd and remove the sick/carriers then and only then will transplanting sheep to these areas be viable.Read about the past wastes of transplanting you will understand this a little better.  :tup: They are having offspring in decent numbers only to contract the illness and die as lambs.It is a good plan they are not using our money to pay for it to be done.Still giving the opportunity for hunters.Trying to fix the problem.It is a win win.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline hunter-4-life

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2019, 08:02:57 AM »
The way the wdfw is going about this is not a terrible idea. They are giving sportsmen an increased opportunity to draw a sheep tag by offering these tags to cull the heards. Also with no surprise at all it’s generating more revenue for the wdfw. It’s funny how when the wdfw don’t offer enough tags people b**** and when they offer to many tags people still b****.
10' Hoyt Maxis 31, Truglo Site, QAD fall away rest, Fuse Quiver, Fuse Stabilizer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]