collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: HOG HUNTING ON THE OLYMPIC PENINSULA!  (Read 43872 times)

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Re: HOG HUNTING ON THE OLYMPIC PENINSULA!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 04:30:39 PM »
 Krusty, I'm not calling anyone specific a liar. If your buddy says he killed one, fine he did. There are and were several(some have gone under since this was reported the first time) sports shops from Elma to Hoquiam. I'm not going to say which one had maps (for sale) to the areas that supposedly had the largest population of the hogs. Yes, there was a shop trying to cash in on the attention. I have no doubt a hog or even 3 got out of thier pen and someone shot one in the woods. Its happened everywhere hogs are raised.
 What I do not agree with is the idea that there are heards of these running all over the Wynoochee.  If there were even 15 of these critters that started breeding there would be a thousand of them in a couple of years. Pigs will breed like rabbits when left alone.
 Not trying to start an argument with anyone on this. This has always gotten under my skin. I lived in this area for years. This area was my stomping grounds and I know it well. Believe it or not lots of people came to the area looking for a free pig hunt  :chuckle:.
Steve

Shadow Cat

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 07:13:11 PM »
Krusty
I took an 18Lb tom out of that area last year. My ex-father-in-law said their were NO turkeys in the area. A week later, I brought him pictures of them and a few weeks later brought him the tom. I took him on the west side of the West Satsup road just after the steel guard rail turns to the right up on that hill. If you are there in the morning you can hear them with an owl call. They have moved into 2 places. One is on the east side of the road where the family that owns the property has a bunch of sheep and goats and the other is just a ways down the road by the blue house on the west side. I had pictures of them until I got divorced. My ex-wifes brother shot a hog in 88 canyon a year ago. He said he only saw 3 pigs. I worked with another guy at Camp Murray that took a hog a year ago last June up by Cougar Smith road. My ex-wifes first husband works at the fish hatchery off of fish hatchery road and has taken 2 hogs over the last 5 years. My ex-brother-in-law was a logger in the area and had said that they had found hog carcusses from time to time that the bears had taken. That might be a reason that there are not to many of them found.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 05:49:16 AM »
Posting a little bit late, but I did see a wild hog up on the Peninsula between the rez and park. Had my wife and kid with me.

sisu

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 03:08:37 PM »
The wild hogs on the Peninsula are just like the wild turkeys...

"They are where they are, when you see 'em, because that's where they were, when you saw 'em."

They may never be there again.

It's a very old, and in my opinion a very stable population. When lots of people get to thinking about them ,and therefore looking for them, more are seen and killed.

The problem with media based scouting reports, is the more likely the "scout" is of making money from it, the more encouraging the scouting report.
I NEVER trust the guy who owns the resort, the grocery store, or the gas station.

Beware of reporting to the WDFW, it's also my opinion that they are "testing the depth of the financial opportunity" here.
How many hog tags can they sell?

There are other non-indigenous game species, that we now apply for tags, to hunt.

Krusty
Actionshooter,

Wow dude, it takes a lot of balls to call a guy a liar, especially without saying what locality this businessman might be in.

I know a guy, a personal friend of mine, that owns a sporting goods store, and has killed a Wynoochie hog.
I wasn't with him, but if that's where he said it came from, I believe him.

His shop is a lot closer to the area pigs are rumored to be than I am, but he's not in any position to make huge financial gains by "outfitting" hog hunters, and he doesn't like media attention so I doubt he was motivated by fame.

There was a day, when a man's word was taken for that.
If he said he climbed a mountain, or shot a pig, or whatever.

Remember guys and gals, the grizzly bear, and the mountain gorilla were the same as Oly pigs... nobody wanted to believe either of them existed either.

Feral pigs, whether part of a "lost herd" or recently escaped livestock, have been proven to exist, both by the WDFW and the State Patrol.
In the last round of media frenzy, one was struck and killed by a lady in a car, and the WDFW spokesman said he thought that accident and others combined to have killed more pigs than hunters had (that he knew of).

I have never seen one, but I won't fall over in shock if I do.

There's a planted and well known flock (or flocks) of wild trukeys in the area, and I spent three hard years looking for them in and out of turkey season... I never saw bird, nor turd.

Every year or two, somebody reports taking a turkey from the southwest borders of the park.
Must be a popular place for liars?

Krusty

Krusty you are a character of contradictions. First you don't trust store owners and next you're telling us this guy is like a saint with his word even though you haven't seen the hog.
Either you do or you don't what is it?
Reports of wild game from one hunter-fisher-gatherer to another gets whacked out of proportion all the time. Please keep this in mind when discussing topics with others on the site please. By the way last time I checked BSing was a lot more honorable than lying and I see no where in this thread where anyone called you or anyone else a lair

Offline Hermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 08:02:09 PM »
I know the young don't do well in cold wet climates. Maybe they just aren't reproducing like they would in a dryer climate.
The first bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

Offline russ

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »
all ive heard are storys from a few people who live out there...sure be interesting to get one!

Offline Palmer

• Scout
  • Educated from the wilderness
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 11:29:39 PM »
I had a ranch south of Spokane advertise to me, they would let me harvest a hog on their ranch for $900.  I asked them if we had wild hogs in Washington and they replied that Eastern Washington has some.  Does anybody have more info on that?  Fact or Fiction?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 09:33:06 AM »
fiction.
$900 for a canned hog hunt?
wow.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Dudeluv

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »
2 years ago the department of fish and wildlife had something on there website about this. I called a few sporting good shops in Aberdeen area and they kinda laughed about it.  They said they had read the same artical I read and said that there are some but not near the amount the WDFW is saying there are.
At the time of that phone call they had heard of 1 sighting in 6 months
I decided not to waste my time and travel all the way down there

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »
Here is a pic of one taken from 88. :chuckle: See, real proof they are in there ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 07:33:13 PM »
That is a Farm raised family pet that was sold to a game farm where a 12 year old boy shot it.  Down in the southern United states.  Saw that picture on another site befor I moved from Florida! :rolleyes:

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »
I love love love hunting pigs with a bow!

In GA they kept me in the woods...out of arrows...and in the meat 12 months a year.

With that said, they will wreck an eco system! If you go to areas where the hogs are let bread the deer will have a huge difference in body weight and horn development from a very similar area 10 miles up the road.

They reproduce very very quickly...like a disease not an animal. They roam and the loiter only to roam again throwing carrying capacity of a piece of land way out of whack. Like parasites.

We dont want them here!!!!!

Ill head down to GA 3 times a year to kill a few there... but no need to get them into my elk and BT woods.

I heard someone say the young dont do well in the cold but the original strains were from Russia which has winters that make the Penn look like Miami. So Im sure they can do fine here.

If something is limiting them...thank God! Lets increase whatever it is.

I do love to hunt them though! ;)

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
I agree, you guys don't want them in the state of Washington.  If you want to hunt them go to California or one of the southern states.  Wild hogs are basiclly varmints.  They are fun to hunt. :chuckle: It's hard to beat hunting hogs with dogs and pig stickers (Knives)! 

catwithboost

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 07:15:22 PM »
The picture above is not real it was a photoshop that got proven fake about a month after it came out it was on comcast.net web site and all of that.

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 07:26:35 PM »
my uncle was tellin me bout his hog hunts. yet another type of hunting i want to do, but he hunts them all over the U.S. he told me next time hes guna go try and spear one, sounds crazy to me but thats what he said hes guna do

the only place in washington anymore that i know of that has hogs is in some of the swamps in the nooch. I havnt seen none but a guy who is pretty true to his word said he seen a bunch of sign and said that there still some left. anyone know of any hangin out in the nooch swamps??

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal