collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sheep hunting options  (Read 17206 times)

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: Sheep hunting options
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »
Idaho is your best shot at a NR tag, no doubt. 

NM is sticking it to the non-resident DIY sheep hunters - thousands of applicants, and exactly 1 desert and 1 rocky tag available, and you get to front the $3K tag price for a few months while they earn the interest.  I won't give them my money. 

In all seriousness, if you're on the 25-30 year plan anyway, take that $500+/year you will spend in app fees across the west and save it for a dall sheep hunt.  Realistically, a 25-30 year plan may net you nothing in the draws given the way the western states are cinching down on NR tags.  But saving that money over time WILL get you a tag.

I hear what you are saying but $15k over 25 years is easier to come up with than $15k all at once.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 09:38:33 PM »
The OTC tags in Montana encompass some of the toughest terrain in North America and many of veteran sheep hunters have walked away beat down and empty handed.  Just an FYI.  Its not impossible but should not be jumped into lightly.  Also, I do believe that it is the hunters responsibility to keep track on whether the quota has been met or not so a sat phone is a requirement so you can call in daily to check.

Thanks for the sound advice, its definitely worth looking into on my end.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 10:14:27 PM »
Put $50 a month into your budget and then when you have a buck or five in your pocket, drop it into the coffee can as well.  You'll have a guaranteed trip.

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 10:26:25 AM »
I would get residency in Idaho and buy a lifetime license. And then I would do the same in Arizona. It really helps your odds when you are in the resident draw in 3 different states.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 10:35:12 AM »
I would get residency in Idaho and buy a lifetime license. And then I would do the same in Arizona. It really helps your odds when you are in the resident draw in 3 different states.
That's a great idea, but besides being illegal why only stop at three?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »

:chuckle:

Yeah, I don't know about Idaho, but you're back in the NR draw pool once you no longer live in AZ regardless of whether you bought the lifetime license.  You don't have to buy a NR hunting license (or any hunting license, for that matter), but you're still in the NR draw and pay NR tag fees. 

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
If you only plan on one hunt, then start saving now. $2-3k/year will give you the money to go on that hunt for your 40th birthday present. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

Yeah, I don't know about Idaho, but you're back in the NR draw pool once you no longer live in AZ regardless of whether you bought the lifetime license.  You don't have to buy a NR hunting license (or any hunting license, for that matter), but you're still in the NR draw and pay NR tag fees.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/?getPage=78
"No one can claim Idaho resident privileges while claiming resident privileges in another state, except military personnel."

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »

"No one can claim Idaho resident privileges while claiming resident privileges in another state, except military personnel."

Sounds like he should join the military then.  ;)   :)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 11:22:38 AM »
I'm in a similar boat.

My best advice is to stay in good health. Pass on all the aforementioned coffee can, under the mattress, and hide from yourself tactics and invest it in a low expense ratio IRA or your company's matched 401(k). If you stay in good health you can compound 3 decades of growth into millions. I would enjoy a Gawd awful expensive hunt far more if it were commensurate with with my overall net worth, as opposed to overextending my family's finances.  :twocents:

If you really want to kill a horned animal go to New Mexico or Texas for a Barbary sheep hunt. Aka an aoudad.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
If a person has a lifetime license in idaho they will be considered a resident for the purpose of controlled hunt drawings regardless if they live in idaho anymore or not. Still must pay nr tag fees thou if not a current resident.

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »

When you have an Idaho lifetime licenses and move out of Idaho you get a free nonresident licenses every year.  The kicker is you are in the resident draw side for draw tags (but still pay nonresidnet fee's for the tag).  So instead of being limited to up to 10% of the tags you have a chance of drawing from the 90% pool. 

I was also told by a hunter ed teacher that it works the same way in AZ.  But have never looked into it.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 12:24:21 PM »
I suppose if you were willing to move to Idaho and live there for six months in order to buy a resident lifetime license, and then move to Arizona, live there for six months and buy another resident lifetime license could work but the potential loss of income and expenses associated with the moves would probably be greater than the cost of a hunt.

Online WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 12:45:15 PM »
I've looked in the Arizona regs on this, and all they say is you will still need to buy a NR tag.  It doesn't say anywhere that you get to participate in the resident draw before you buy that NR tag.  If that were the case, I'm sure they would make a huge deal about it, as that's a very significant benefit.  Here's a link to the summary:

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/documents/Lifetime%20License%20Application_2014.pdf

Also, as it relates to the original post, the 10% NR cap is only one limiting factor for Arizona sheep anyway - right now, max points is 26 and there are about 7,000 applicants with 12 or more points (most of which are residents, see link below) applying for 104 total tags.  There are at least that many more applicants with 12 points or less.  You do the math, but Arizona will always be a longshot for someone just starting now.  Heck, I've got like 15 and figure it's a longshot for me in the next 20 years.

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/documents/bonus/12-2014/Individual%20Bonus%20Points%20Totals%20by%20Species.pdf

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »
lol at all the 'EXPERTS" in this thread that need to take their foots out of their mouths. Instead of typing maybe you should research a little before you type up completely wrong info. Thank you for proving once again why you should never trust what you read in a forum. Carry on all you 'EXPERTS'

I have called an it is the same in AZ as it is in ID. Also there is a thread on MM about it right now for AZ. And the other benefit is that it will help you draw other species as well. AZ has some of the best elk, deer, and pronghorn hunting in the world. ID you have a better chance to draw goat and moose after you draw sheep. Also neither state has a guaranteed 10% of tags going to non res. They are both "up to 10%" so as a non res with a lifetime license you have a shot at 100% of the tags not 90%.

Here is a snippet from AZ.
Lifetime License Holders
If a lifetime license holder changes residency
status from Arizona, the licensee must then
purchase non-resident stamps, tags, and
permits. older A non-resident tag or stamp can accompany
your lifetime resident license. If
you are a lifetime license holder that has
moved out of state, the 10 percent non-resident
cap does not apply to you.
The lifetime
license will remain legal for the taking of all