collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks  (Read 236621 times)

Online ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Wall Tents Tips and Tricks
« on: July 05, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
Well itching to get out and try out my new 10X12 wall tent and Three dog stove. But with work,family and weather just cant get away right now. So I set down today and scanned every wall tent and stove thread on here up to page 57.

Lots of good info. But thought, sure be great if all those great ideas were on one thread. :drool:

Seems like a lot of guys took up wall tents in the past five years on here. So what is your best wall tent or wall tent stove tips? After the purchase.

What did you learn after you bought your tent and used it a while?

Maybe we can help the new guys who are thinking of buying one. 

Lets try to only address canvas wall tents and stoves you can use in them.

Maybe this could become a sticky at the top of the page for easy reference by new Wall Tenters.

Tip....Never ever put your tent away wet.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
Will be following!

I just got my first "wall" tent if you can call it that. It's one of those kodiak flex bows. I'm gonna have a stove jack put in and I just ordered a stove.

There is a floor to the tent but I thought of getting a chunk of carpet or astroturf cut to size.

Door mats are always nice to. And a comfy rug at your cot.

Clothes drying racks are great if using a stove.

A little cooking grate to set your pots/pans on the stove. Warming up slices of theringer/summer sausage on the stove with some cheese and crackers are a great snack.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Always buy bigger than what you think you need.

Get a 6-8 foot 1/2 piece of pipe, hang it from your rafters down about a foot from both ends .  Makes a perfect clothes line..  Bring hangers and hang wet clothes up
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 09:49:34 PM »

Get a 6-8 foot 1/2 piece of pipe, hang it from your rafters down about a foot from both ends .  Makes a perfect clothes line..  Bring hangers and hang wet clothes up

:yeah:

And make sure it is dry before you put it away.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:18:37 PM by Bigshooter »
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »

Now that's a good idea.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »
Will be following!

I just got my first "wall" tent if you can call it that. It's one of those kodiak flex bows. I'm gonna have a stove jack put in and I just ordered a stove.

There is a floor to the tent but I thought of getting a chunk of carpet or astroturf cut to size.

A little cooking grate to set your pots/pans on the stove. Warming up slices of theringer/summer sausage on the stove with some cheese and crackers are a great snack.

What stove?

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »
Will be following!

Never cook inside of your tent because everything that is in it will smell like what you cooked.

Dig a trench around your tent to keep rain water from coming inside.

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 10:08:51 PM »
My tent has a snap in floor. I wanted to protect it from sparks out front of stove.
Looked at several options and decided on a flexible semi ridge mat for under you BQ.
This one is spark resistant and about 3 ft square. Figure to just load it flat in bed of my truck. Has a hole for a handle.

Another thing I came up with. I am going to set the stove up in the tent at home on the mat. Once everything is located as it should me. I am going to mark the location of the mat on the tent floor with a sharpie. Also mark the locTion of stove legs on mat.
That should speed upset up in camp.

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
Will be following!

Never cook inside of your tent because everything that is in it will smell like what you cooked.

Dig a trench around your tent to keep rain water from coming inside.

Yeah my plan is to cook outside or in the group camps we have a cook shack.

I have never trenches around a tent mainly because I always use a rain fly that goes out away from the tent.
I made a tarp rain fly for my new tent with stove pipe cut out . It hangs 12 inches on back 6 ft on front. And 16 inches of each side.

Many guys don't use the tarp. I like it because it has always kept my tents cleaner and dry inside. It also in heavy rain channels water out away from tent sides.
I am confident my new tent is water proof because I hosed it down good and the water beaded and ran off. The fly just add more protection.

I also hang my fly differnt than most. It only May touch the ridge other wise it is 12 inches above the canvas. Allows good air flow and lets canvas breath.

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »
When I cut out my tarp for stove flap I lined it on all sides with this heat duck tape.
Figured it would ad extra strength.

I also added a flap of heavy vinyl to cover it if not using stove.(note shown)

Offline toyman2

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
Always stake it down, all the way around the bottom as well as ropes off the side.
2 years ago in a nasty rain and wind storm, I came back from a morning hunt to find my 12x14 tent 30ft away and upside down. I did have all the ropes staked down but the ground was to hard on part of it and couldn't get all of the bottom.
The other thing I do, for my floor I bought a tarp the size of my tent and fold 1/3 back under its self so the entry way and stove are dirt. This allows for me to have a place to take off boots or wet closes etc and not get my floor all nasty. I also have small chunks of carpet at the bed sides.
My wood stove has a 3 Gal water tank on it, I dig a cereal bowl size hole under the spout so the water can gather to seep into the dirt or a place to dump coffee or whatever.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 11:11:35 AM »
Storage is always at a premium.  This only works for interior framed tents. I cut some plywood in 6 inch planks and slightly longer than the distance between 2 poles.  I then used a circle bit to notch out the plank (half circle) on one side where it then is lined up to two poles.  Drill holes on both sides of the plank for 550 cord and then hang them tied off above the cot in that space.  Nothing heavy, but headlamps, ammo, beanie hat, bowl n spoon etc.

Offline Roost Run

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »
If its the 1st time setting it up.  Wet it down with the hose once you get it staked down and let it dry on the frame.  It will fit your frame so much better after sitting rolled up for a year. Sounds weird I know but trust me

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
If its the 1st time setting it up.  Wet it down with the hose once you get it staked down and let it dry on the frame.  It will fit your frame so much better after sitting rolled up for a year. Sounds weird I know but trust me

I believe that. Read some where that canvas will Relax after a couple days.
Saw a video of a guy who stretched a tent 5-6 inches by puting blocks under.the legs every couple days an staking it tight.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »
Will be following!

What stove?

I decided to go with a kni-co Alaskan Jr. Partly due to being on a budget. I read a lot between the four dog and kni-co stoves. The four dog seems to be superior, but I thought I'd try my luck with the kni-co. So we'll see. Tent is 10x14.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]