collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody get busted for snagging Salmon? (Kalama & Toutle)  (Read 12171 times)

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Anybody get busted for snagging Salmon? (Kalama & Toutle)
« on: September 19, 2007, 12:13:30 PM »
September 19, 2007

Agents cite anglers for snagging salmon in Kalama, Toutle rivers

State wildlife agents have cracked down on anglers who were snagging salmon on the Kalama and Toutle rivers.

Sergeant Ted Holden says agents heard complaints of fishermen dragging hooks into salmon. Two undercover officers posed as fishermen last weekend and six others swooped in to issue 55 citations.

It's a $541 fine.

Holden says some fishermen admitted wrongdoing and others claimed ignorance of the fishing rules.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Anybody get busted for snagging Salmon? (Kalama & Toutle)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 01:43:05 PM »
not me but back in new york when i was a kid we used to fish the salmon river when the king salmon spawned out of lake ontario. the rivers we fished were shallow and the salmon would throw rooster tails of water when they scooted up through some skinny water. me and my little brother thought it was fun to chase them...well the new york state fish cops didn't. he did the typical scare the crap out of the little kids so they wouldn't break the law anymore, and it worked. the undercover fish cop in those waters has been around for a long time. they did not mess around, and they would bust people al the time.
it's good to see the doing it out here...it certainly deterred illegal snagging back there.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 06:55:56 PM »
That's a good chunk of change. There is a problem with the snagging on the washugal river. It's funny when the warden comes down all these people start  running. Almost like their illegals  :chuckle:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:18:08 PM »
Blacklab, there is a problem snagging on every river.

I grew up fishing the washougal and learned to fish the wrong way. I have since learned the right way to fish. and i keep a whole lot more fish now than i used to.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 09:35:26 PM »
1-800-477-6224
wdfw incident reporting/poacher hotline. program it into your cell phone and use it when needed. there is a reward, but it shouldn't be needed.
keep calling in problems, eventually it will pay off. hopefully they keep up this moving it on to some other rivers.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Online Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:47:29 AM »
wdfw

I'm sure other rivers have their share of snaggers. The washougal seems to have the lable in this area. When I tell people I'm fishing the washougal for salmon. The first thing they say, oh your snaggin  :dunno:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »
this state has huge issues with illegal fishing methods everywhere, regardless whether it's salmon snagging, poaching at c-n-r lakes, bait fishing selective fisheries, etc. the list goes on and on, and it really sucks because this state has a huge amount to offer in fishing.
hopefully this is step one of whats to come on wdfw's agenda.

sisu

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »
If the salmon have lock jaw I'll line em with a fly. Now I know the fly fishing aficionado will howl at this but it really is not snagging. Fish and Wildlife never got excited about this back home as long as the hook was in the mouth area. :P

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »
Naughty boy!

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 10:24:19 PM »
Agree with Sisu, we affectionately called it "Controlled Snagging".  It is almost an art to some degree, you can tell those that can versus those that can't, the can't actually are snagging.....  It is the only way to fish for Reds... period, well except for the dip net during that season...  We used to use a small red hook with a sliver of red yarn, called it a "Crimean Shrimp" on the lower Kenai, anything not in mouth must immediately be released.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »
but it really is not snagging.

what is it then?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
Long lining? Flossing?

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 05:43:36 PM »
Sorry, but my opinion is that if the fish is not voluntarily taking the presentation into its mouth, it is snagging.

I grew up snagging fish because i was told salmon do not eat once they enter fresh water. Well i have learned differently. I catch a whole lot more fish and keep alot more because i do not have to release so many foul hooked fish. I do not foul hook fish anymore.
Sorry but flossing and long lining is so people can snag fish and say it was not on purpose.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 06:21:13 PM »
Sorry, but my opinion is that if the fish is not voluntarily taking the presentation into its mouth, it is snagging.

I grew up snagging fish because i was told salmon do not eat once they enter fresh water. Well i have learned differently. I catch a whole lot more fish and keep alot more because i do not have to release so many foul hooked fish. I do not foul hook fish anymore.
Sorry but flossing and long lining is so people can snag fish and say it was not on purpose.

My thoughts exactly!

Offline 280ackley

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 06:25:28 PM »

My thoughts exactly!

Yes, I agree also.
Life member: Washington Wild Sheep Foundation & NRA

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87