collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote hunting in the spring.  (Read 16352 times)

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Coyote hunting in the spring.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
Im pretty sure a kill at this time of year is a temporary fix. Kill a couple and it may help this years crop of deer.
I read a couple articles that talked about early fruiting trees/bushes in the south that fruit about the same time fawns dropp..permesian comes to mind.. that would likely help more than incidental shooting of them.

permesian? persimmon?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
I don't think it bolsters their numbers.   What it does is create a vacuum in the area needing to be filled with new resident coyotes so you hear a lot more vocalizations and get some 'strangers' coming around. 

Makes one think that if they shoot a few yotes all the sudden the population explodes.

I did this at my place, now I've got three packs all yapping at one another with me in the middle.  See what I get for killing a few yotes  :chuckle:

Heard them take a fawn the other night,  it's war now

I think one of them bred my Brittany too  >:(

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 06:32:05 PM »
Im pretty sure a kill at this time of year is a temporary fix. Kill a couple and it may help this years crop of deer.
I read a couple articles that talked about early fruiting trees/bushes in the south that fruit about the same time fawns dropp..permesian comes to mind.. that would likely help more than incidental shooting of them.

permesian? persimmon?
Ya that
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »
I don't think it bolsters their numbers.   What it does is create a vacuum in the area needing to be filled with new resident coyotes so you hear a lot more vocalizations and get some 'strangers' coming around. 

Makes one think that if they shoot a few yotes all the sudden the population explodes.

I did this at my place, now I've got three packs all yapping at one another with me in the middle.  See what I get for killing a few yotes  :chuckle:

Oh no'. The pups are bound to be Democrates. :chuckle:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Thehowler

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »
Some very nasty,conniving, Dems!
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »

Based on what I have read I do not think you are correct. Again, I have no issue with hunting coyotes, but I think people tend to believe what they want to to justify their actions and feel like they are somehow contributing to a greater good. I hunt coyotes because they have a great pelt, don't taste all that bad, and are a challenge to kill. Here is a quote from one of the many articles on the subject and a link to the article:

"Research by Bob Crabtree and Jennifer Sheldon's in and around Yellowstone National Park documented that coyotes incorporate a paradoxical survival mechanism.  When heavily hunted by wolves or humans, the number of pups that survive to adulthood can significantly increase.  In an unpressured population, only one or two pups in a six-pup litter will live beyond a few months; however, in pressured populations almost all pups survive.  This seems to occur because adult removal leaves more food for the pups, ensuring a high survival rate for the majority of the generation to make it to reproductive maturity, resulting in unprecedented population increase."

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/smallfarms/coyote

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 10:07:15 PM »

Based on what I have read I do not think you are correct. Again, I have no issue with hunting coyotes, but I think people tend to believe what they want to to justify their actions and feel like they are somehow contributing to a greater good. I hunt coyotes because they have a great pelt, don't taste all that bad, and are a challenge to kill. Here is a quote from one of the many articles on the subject and a link to the article:

"Research by Bob Crabtree and Jennifer Sheldon's in and around Yellowstone National Park documented that coyotes incorporate a paradoxical survival mechanism.  When heavily hunted by wolves or humans, the number of pups that survive to adulthood can significantly increase.  In an unpressured population, only one or two pups in a six-pup litter will live beyond a few months; however, in pressured populations almost all pups survive.  This seems to occur because adult removal leaves more food for the pups, ensuring a high survival rate for the majority of the generation to make it to reproductive maturity, resulting in unprecedented population increase."

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/smallfarms/coyote

meh,  nothing to disagree on really.  You're talking about a much bigger picture than I'm talking about, a single hunter isn't going to make an impact on the scale you're article is referring too. 

If he/she could trap them though....still, it would be difficult to take enough coyotes to effect the food chain -and make bigger litters- survive.

They could upset the local hierarchy though

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 05:42:40 AM »
where I live we have an abundance of predators, they get no brake from me, no off season.

https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »
where I live we have an abundance of predators, they get no brake from me, no off season.
:yeah: X2
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm kinda lost on what your stance is and tend to agree with KFhunters line of thinking over heronblu.  I'm not sure what heronblu disagrees with.

I can't for the life of me see how hunting coyotes makes more coyotes.  Granted, if you have a dominant pair in an area, they'll keep the others out.  BUT, if you kill the coyotes in that area, YOU keep the coyotes out.

I've said before that I don't think it changes the overall population.  BUT....that is looking from Nov-Dec of one year vs Nov-Dec of the next.  I feel very strongly that pounding them over the winter will absolutely reduce the number in the area all spring and early summer.  I see this as a win for fawns and chicks.

It's true, come fall, new 6 month old pups will move in....possibly some older dogs as well looking for new ground.  But, they aren't as smart as the old dominant dogs you removed thus reducing their skill set and effectiveness at hunting in groups etc.

In short, kill em, there will always be more and your own micro-climate will be better temporarily. You will however need to rinse and repeat to make any long lasting impact.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »
There used to be an artical in the archives of predator masters forum that was a study done in Utah if my memory serves me right. At the time the state was trying to wipe the coyotes out. They used every method imagineable to eradicate them. The bio doing the research was a coyote hunter and what he saw was the more they killed the bigger the litters where and the survival rate increased. He recorded litters of over 20 pups in some areas where they had wiped out almost every coyote the season before.   His idea was that when the coyote population takes a huge crash the females dropped more eggs and the males more sperm. He thought the survival rate increased due to increased food available.   I wish I could find the link that works for it as the one I saved no longer works.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 02:27:51 PM »

That's a personal decision, and IMO one best not shared on the internet.

This

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
:yeah:
Please no pics
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »
Jasnt,
I'm not disagreeing with you and remember that study.  I believe the largest litter count was 18 if I remember correctly.

So...let's think this through.  If you pound the coyotes, you have reduced the population from say Feb-May 1st?  At that point the pups on the ground are from big litters, there is lots of food and many more survivors from bigger litters.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the scenario above.  It's one I've seen play out over and over personally. 

Now, come fall, these pups are on their own as well as pups from the outside looking to move in as they are looking for territory of their own.

Pups are dumber than adults and make the next season's removal easier.

In the end, you very well may have the same starting point in population!  They will be younger which will decrease their chance at survival and you will have given our other wild game a break during their most critical time.

Granted, shooting one coyote won't do much.  For example, last winter on one day in a mile and a half - 2 mile stretch, I counted 15 coyotes.  In a 24 hour period, I had killed 12 of them...and that was that.  Yes, they will be back, but that population got nuked.  Our deer/pheasants live day to day.  A 2 week or 2 month rest is quite a gift  :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »
There used to be an artical in the archives of predator masters forum that was a study done in Utah if my memory serves me right. At the time the state was trying to wipe the coyotes out. They used every method imagineable to eradicate them. The bio doing the research was a coyote hunter and what he saw was the more they killed the bigger the litters where and the survival rate increased. He recorded litters of over 20 pups in some areas where they had wiped out almost every coyote the season before.   His idea was that when the coyote population takes a huge crash the females dropped more eggs and the males more sperm. He thought the survival rate increased due to increased food available.   I wish I could find the link that works for it as the one I saved no longer works.

I read that study also. What year round hunting does however is drop the average age of coyotes in the area. This leads to more young dumb ones out there which leads to more on my stretchers in the fall. This in turn keeps numbers of 2nd year (and older) adults low through late winter and spring when deer are most vulnerable to coyotes.
I call that a win-win. Anybody who has hunted coyotes much knows just how hard it is to kill a old veteran coyote. If I get the shot, I take it even in the spring.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »
Sounds like the real solution is to use sterilization drugs on the females, the vocalization will indicate good pack size but breeding will yield no results. But that's a big stretch in probability.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal