collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018 raffle tickets  (Read 9516 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: 2018 raffle tickets
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 01:36:02 PM »
I thought you could use any legal weapon during any season:
If selected, any legal weapon may be used during the hunt.

So a legal rifle during archery would be acceptable wouldn't it?

Legal weapon for that season. Archery equipment during archery season ect. Similar to multi season deer and elk tags.

I don't believe that is correct.  See my last post.

Pretty clear!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
I got on the wdfw website and saw the raffle tickets sales haven’t been updated in two weeks. I emailed  them to see if they would update the ticket sales.  This is there response.

"The raffels will be updated after there deadline..."
And these are supposed to be the highly educated professionals that manage the resource?

I saw that too.  Also "these date," not "this date."  I highly doubt this person knows anything.  Expect an update within a week.

Updated today.  Told ya.  9/10 people who answer questions at wdfw dont have a clue.

Online teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
I got on the wdfw website and saw the raffle tickets sales haven’t been updated in two weeks. I emailed  them to see if they would update the ticket sales.  This is there response.

"The raffels will be updated after there deadline..."
And these are supposed to be the highly educated professionals that manage the resource?

I saw that too.  Also "these date," not "this date."  I highly doubt this person knows anything.  Expect an update within a week.

Updated today.  Told ya.  9/10 people who answer questions at wdfw dont have a clue.
:tup:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
Man that eastside elk raffle blew up.  :chuckle:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
no kidding wish I would’ve just saved my 600 bucks  :chuckle:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Westside88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
I know people get discouraged by those that drop big bucks on tickets, but for me it just encourages me to buy 1 or 2 in hopes of pulling a lucky break. Someone’s gonna get lucky and it’s still probably better odds than some of the other draws

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
I know people get discouraged by those that drop big bucks on tickets, but for me it just encourages me to buy 1 or 2 in hopes of pulling a lucky break. Someone’s gonna get lucky and it’s still probably better odds than some of the other draws
Yeah I’m with ya. Wasn’t gonna play but it looks too inviting now.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
no kidding wish I would’ve just saved my 600 bucks  :chuckle:
COACH!!!!!!  Damn him!!

:chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
The only way to ensure you won't get drawn is to not play.  Could be the best $6 you ever spent!

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »
I don't think that the big ticket buyers really hurt the odds as much as people think. I agree they do lower the odds for everyone that is buying just a few tickets.

Steve buys one ticket, Jim buys one ticket, whale buys 100 tickets, Kevin buys one, Eddie buys one, whale buys 100 and so on.  The whale is just buying a block of tickets.  It doesn't matter if he has the 100 tickets in between Jim and Kevin or just 1 ticket between Jim and Kevin.  Jim and Kevin were never going to get that ticket or tickets.

It doesn't matter if you buy one ticket or 1,000 they are still only going to draw one winning ticket.

I think the guy that buys one or 10 tickets doesn't care what his odds are, he is just happy to be in the game and have a chance.  The guy buying 1,000 is trying to hedge his odds but it's still a game of chance and I am just not sure the odds are that much greater.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
I don't think that the big ticket buyers really hurt the odds as much as people think. I agree they do lower the odds for everyone that is buying just a few tickets.

Steve buys one ticket, Jim buys one ticket, whale buys 100 tickets, Kevin buys one, Eddie buys one, whale buys 100 and so on.  The whale is just buying a block of tickets.  It doesn't matter if he has the 100 tickets in between Jim and Kevin or just 1 ticket between Jim and Kevin.  Jim and Kevin were never going to get that ticket or tickets.

It doesn't matter if you buy one ticket or 1,000 they are still only going to draw one winning ticket.

I think the guy that buys one or 10 tickets doesn't care what his odds are, he is just happy to be in the game and have a chance.  The guy buying 1,000 is trying to hedge his odds but it's still a game of chance and I am just not sure the odds are that much greater.

In your example, if the whale shows up, Jim's odds are 1/105 = .9%.  If the whale doesn't show up, Jim's odds are 1/4 = 25% or 27 times greater.  Whales make huge differences in the odds, but they don't always win and it would be pretty sweet to be the guy who won with a few bucks worth of tickets.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »

In your example, if the whale shows up, Jim's odds are 1/105 = .9%.  If the whale doesn't show up, Jim's odds are 1/4 = 25% or 27 times greater.  Whales make huge differences in the odds, but they don't always win and it would be pretty sweet to be the guy who won with a few bucks worth of tickets.
  while you are correct, the raffles aren't meant to make opportunity.  They are mean to raise revenue.  No whale= less revenue.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »

Either way the whale is going to show up.  He is either going to buy one ticket if he is limited to only one or buy 100.  If the whale is only allowed to buy 1 ticket there are more people that say that they would play the raffle game again decreasing your odds.

Again I said think that the whales decrease your odds, I just don't think they decrease them as much as people think.

Using your numbers with 4 tickets sold versus 105 tickets it is a big difference.  But we aren't talking about 4 tickets or 105 tickets.  Eastside elk had 4,200 tickets sold last year and so far this year 5,400 have been sold.  A guy with 1 ticket right now has a .0185%chance of winning, a guy with 100 tickets has a 1% chance.  Yep the guy with a 1% chance is way better off than the guy with one ticket.  Is he planning his hunt and expecting to draw since he is 50 times more likely to draw than the guy with one ticket?  No way, his odds are still slim.  Even if you had 1,000 tickets right now you have a 20 percent chance of winning.  That means you would have an 80% chance of losing.  So spend $6,000 to get 1,000 elk raffle tickets and give yourself an 80% chance to donate that $6,000 to the WDFW.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
Someone must have spotted a big bull!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »

No whale= less revenue.

Unfortunately that has yet to be proven.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]