collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: White River MF Bull Tag  (Read 10793 times)

Offline big al

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • alaldridge2
  • Groups: Arima Boats forum, NRA, RMEF,
White River MF Bull Tag
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »
HI folks,

I got drawn for a White River Bull Tag. At least it starts pretty early for MF on October 19? ( Any bull)

I am not familiar with that area and could use some help?  Road access? ATVS? I Plan to go up and start scouting in a few weeks, but don't have the foggiest idea where to start?  Any help is appreciated?

Offline RC3

• Hunter
Re: White River MF Bull Tag
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »
Congrats, I drew the muzzleloader tag.  It should be fun.

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:43:45 PM »

That’s going to be a great hunt!
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »
Congrats on the tag should be great hunts
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline RC3

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »

That’s going to be a great hunt!

Yes it is, should be a good time!

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »
Just go up on the ski slopes and shoot one (Crystal Mtn) that’s the ski slopes. It’s past Greenwater up on the mountain. Or hike into Big Crow basin for a big boy Been scouting it and hoping for a tag for years. Don’t find nothing there just hike up behind Goat lake. If you wanted to be a really easy hunt and don’t care how big your elk is just hike the deep Creek Trail right along Highway 410 you should run into something .

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:05 PM »
Congrats on the tag should be great hunts
:yeah: Good luck! Hope you get a nice one!

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:09 PM »
Just go up on the ski slopes and shoot one (Crystal Mtn) that’s the ski slopes. It’s past Greenwater up on the mountain. Or hike into Big Crow basin for a big boy Been scouting it and hoping for a tag for years. Don’t find nothing there just hike up behind Goat lake. If you wanted to be a really easy hunt and don’t care how big your elk is just hike the deep Creek Trail right along Highway 410 you should run into something .

I’d do the same and get up high on the east side of the unit if you’re able. There is some great country up there. I’ve never been up there around the season so I don’t have any specifics, but the big grassy basins up around the PCT (which is the boundary) have a lot of critters early in the year. I’d volunteer as a pack mule but I’ll be in Wyoming then. Enjoy the tag!

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 09:46:01 PM »
Congrats.  I was in your shoes last year and got some great advise from guys on this site.  I was able to scout a couple of weekends during the summer and had a great time during the season.  It's not a slam dunk, but there are plenty of elk in the unit.  Some guys on here would say I wasted the permit by shooting a spike, but when your over 60, hunting solo, and you find a shootable animal only about a mile from the truck on level ground your finger kind of takes over!  PM me if you want some specifics and observations.  I'm sure others on here with much more experience/time in the unit will chime in too.  Have a fun hunt!
Dave

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »
HI folks,

I got drawn for a White River Bull Tag. At least it starts pretty early for MF on October 19? ( Any bull)

I am not familiar with that area and could use some help?  Road access? ATVS? I Plan to go up and start scouting in a few weeks, but don't have the foggiest idea where to start?  Any help is appreciated?
might as well leave your atv at home, if you can hike, you’ll have a good hunt. If your a road hunter, buy the Hancock white river pass and you’ll have access to lots of good road hunting. Expect to see elk, and if your not holding out for a trophy you should be able to find a 3 point or better bull.  300+ are not around every corner but there are some big ones.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »
Good advice
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
I had this tag last year, though it didn't start this early...the elk will be in the bugle when your hunt starts...be careful on getting exact locations on here without double checking the area, for example someone already mentioned "big crow basin"...THAT IS OUTSIDE OF THE WHITE RIVER UNIT. But Goat lake is inside the unit, and has a lot of elk but it is not an easy hike, in or out. I highly recommend buying the White River Hancock pass as this will give you options, even if you don't end up going there, and there are parts of it that don't get hunted by the Muckleshoots. I hunted both the Wilderness/Public land area and the Hancock lands...I'm happy with the bull I got as I like to eat elk.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 04:18:13 PM »
Hunt the gmu 346 PCT/ Louisiana saddle by way of little Naches Road and u will get a nice bull.  U will be into bulls every day.  Walk the PCT on the gmu 346 border and just drop down into the 653 every time you see a nasty hole drop down into the nice cool areas with water. If u don't know how to call very well just bring a hoochie mama with you and squeeze that thing about every 20 minutes.  Its very thick in there.
U will need to walk off the game trails and step over huge fallen trees and u will break lots of branches on the way down into the deep holes so when u fall or break a branch squeeze the Hoochie Mama and keep walking and get as deep as u can.  Start walking in at least 2 hours b4 sun up and stay in there late enuf to where ur last 45min walking to ur truck is dark neededing ur head lamp u will get one. Bring a flash light too so u can use it in the dark cuz it very hard walking as we had a odd freeze back in like 1992 that fell lots of huge branches and trees. Set up camp ur camp on the 346 side. Have a few guys that can get up there fast to help u pack it out cuz it's a hard pack out by ur self.
HI folks,

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 05:28:21 PM »
Hunt the gmu 346 PCT/ Louisiana saddle by way of little Naches Road and u will get a nice bull.  U will be into bulls every day.  Walk the PCT on the gmu 346 border and just drop down into the 653 every time you see a nasty hole drop down into the nice cool areas with water. If u don't know how to call very well just bring a hoochie mama with you and squeeze that thing about every 20 minutes.  Its very thick in there.
U will need to walk off the game trails and step over huge fallen trees and u will break lots of branches on the way down into the deep holes so when u fall or break a branch squeeze the Hoochie Mama and keep walking and get as deep as u can.  Start walking in at least 2 hours b4 sun up and stay in there late enuf to where ur last 45min walking to ur truck is dark neededing ur head lamp u will get one. Bring a flash light too so u can use it in the dark cuz it very hard walking as we had a odd freeze back in like 1992 that fell lots of huge branches and trees. Set up camp ur camp on the 346 side. Have a few guys that can get up there fast to help u pack it out cuz it's a hard pack out by ur self.
HI folks,

:tup:
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=peLwxIRYTNs

This hunt is earlier than yours but it will give you a good idea of the terrain and kind of bulls you could find.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal