collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taxidermist-breach of contract?  (Read 11763 times)

Offline RightPlace-RightTime

• Life is a collection of Memories-They are like starlight, They go on forever
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Taxidermist-breach of contract?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 06:51:29 PM »
Probably same one that has my deer now for 2 years.
Yes. Agreed no communication.  I did call him. He has had some personal issues come up. I'm not gonna pry.  It will be finished eventually and will be great as per his reputation.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
Yea great artists can be slow or slower. Buddy got an elk back after 2 1/2 years but its a show stopper amazing piece of work.  Lotta taxi’s that do decent work in less than 9 mo. 

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 07:03:25 PM »
Is he the soul person doing all the work or are there employees? Hire more qualified people if need be. :twocents: Seems like 2 years is a long time to do a mount.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 07:16:57 PM »
I can’t speak for the OP but I think a lot are missing the point. I wouldn’t care how long the work would take if it’s the best, but don’t tell me it’s going to take 1 year and then it takes 3 that’s poor business.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
Who is the taxidermist?

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »
If he does such great work he just needs to be honest. "It'll take 2-3 years to get it back to you." If he's up front and people are willing to wait, great! But it sounds shady to claim 12-16 months knowing it'll take double that and still taking customer's $$$.

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 07:57:58 PM »
One thing that makes it a little easier, at least for me is to keep my antlers to enjoy while waiting in line makes a huge difference. I know not all species have antlers but if they do then it’s not that big of a deal when you can admire your trophy while waiting.

Offline HillHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
It sure sounds like my Taxidermist must not be the norm. He tells me right from the beginning he will cost a little bit more and take a little bit longer than everyone else. But he does a great job and he does not ask for a penny from me upfront. I don’t pay anything until it’s picked up. I love that he actually has control of his business and he’s not using my money to pay for supplies on the project he is currently doing like it seems like some of these guys are. He’s not calling me every week with an update on what he got done. But if I’m wondering how things are going and if he has any closer timeline I can always shoot him a text or call him and he’ll get right back to me. I definitely would not be dealing with anybody who has a communication problem. People who can’t communicate piss me off!

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 05:39:43 AM »
I don't care if they are the best taxidermist in the world. If they give you a time frame stick to it. If something comes up communicate that to the customer. Delays happen but more than a few months is out of line. If they are promising 12-16 months and it takes 2 to 3 years its not the tanners fault it the taxis fault. They need to quit taking work in until they get caught up! I am surprised how many people on here are ok with a taxis dishonesty because he does great work!

Online Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 06:29:33 AM »
My family and I have several animals with a taxidermist we found on here that I'm thinking is probably the same guy. One blacktail from 2015, and a couple more animals from 2016 for me alone that I'm still waiting on. He had done a number of animals for us in the past and done great work. He was always upfront about it taking some time, and I was okay with that given his quality of work. Going on 4 years now was getting a little excessive so I gave a few phone calls and a voicemail for an update and haven't heard anything back.  Thankfully I held onto the antlers, but it would be nice to at least get the finished capes back for my deposits if he isn't able to complete the mounts for whatever reason.

All that said, if he is having some personal problems I feel for him. He was always a great guy to us. I know he does a lot of hunting himself and is involved with another company too that probably takes some of his time away, so maybe that is the reasoning behind the lack of communication. Doesn't make it right, but might be the reasoning.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 06:38:43 AM »
Would you PM me which taxi your talking about please, I've always supported a certain taxi on here and I hope it's not him.  I paid for a bear skull over 2.5 years ago to get euro'd, nothing yet.  I've called but keep getting, oh we are getting on it.  It sucks because I have really respected the guy and his word for years, not sure what is going on. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »
When he's as far behind as he is, and has all his customers' money that they paid up front, what he should be doing is skipping hunting season himself. It's not right that he has the time and money to go on out of state hunting trips every year while customers are deprived of the mounts that they were promised. I'm just glad I'm not waiting on anything from him. But I feel bad for those who do. You would also think his bad reputation that he is now earning due to unkept promises and lack of communication would rub off on the new company he's working for.  :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the only way something could rub off is if we all knew who he is  :dunno:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 08:48:10 AM »
Here's the thing about keeping your word and having integrity. Sometimes, you overestimate your capabilities and over-promise on results, regardless if it's because you suck at estimating your workload or because of unforeseen circumstances which arose. We've all been there. The difference between not keeping your word while still maintaining your integrity is admitting you're behind and you've missed your estimate, and re-commit to your customer a new dateline and give them the opportunity to get their stuff back. We've had several instances of this here with several taxis. I'm not sure why it's so hard for these people to admit they screwed up and communicate with their customers about it, but it seems common. If I did this to my customers, I wouldn't have a job.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 08:49:03 AM »
What town is he in? Without mentioning names maybe that would narrow it down.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 08:55:00 AM »
Agree, also, NO excuse for not communicating !!   
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab