collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who is ready to draw cow permits for archery  (Read 9768 times)

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Who is ready to draw cow permits for archery
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 08:41:04 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 09:02:50 PM »
So... here is my thought on this. I agree with making it a draw for 3-5 years for archery to hunt cow elk in those units. I feel like the modern antler-less permits numbers should be lowered as well. That being said.. I also feel that the bull tags need to be lowered. Reason I'm saying this.. a cow elk gives birth to 1-2 calves a year, mainly 1. A mature bull elk can service/breed 20-40 cow elk. So actually having more mature/breeding age bulls is going to help a lot. I'm not saying, hey lets just kill spikes and cow elk.. but I'm saying that the math shows that a single bull can create more life in a single breeding season than a single cow by a LARGE margin. I hate to bring this other subject up now too... but some serious predator control in those units would be VERY helpful for the deer and the elk. I mean we have more predators in the woods now than we have in a LONG time and its definitely part of the negative impact that we see on the herds. IMO those units need more people hunting bears and cougars. Not to get this argument going either.. but we need to push to open hunting of the wolves in some way, shape, or form.

I was under the impression that they tried to balance bull vs cow by how many would actually need to be bred. Ie; wouldn't need 100 bulls to serive 125 cows.
Maybe that's wrong? I truly dont know, and I feel like I should.

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 08:03:15 AM »
25 Bulls per 100 cows would be a very good number. I also would be all for no cow harvest for as long as it took to rebound, across all user groups.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 08:21:17 AM »
So... here is my thought on this. I agree with making it a draw for 3-5 years for archery to hunt cow elk in those units. I feel like the modern antler-less permits numbers should be lowered as well. That being said.. I also feel that the bull tags need to be lowered. Reason I'm saying this.. a cow elk gives birth to 1-2 calves a year, mainly 1. A mature bull elk can service/breed 20-40 cow elk. So actually having more mature/breeding age bulls is going to help a lot. I'm not saying, hey lets just kill spikes and cow elk.. but I'm saying that the math shows that a single bull can create more life in a single breeding season than a single cow by a LARGE margin. I hate to bring this other subject up now too... but some serious predator control in those units would be VERY helpful for the deer and the elk. I mean we have more predators in the woods now than we have in a LONG time and its definitely part of the negative impact that we see on the herds. IMO those units need more people hunting bears and cougars. Not to get this argument going either.. but we need to push to open hunting of the wolves in some way, shape, or form.
this isn't quit how the science works. If you have 50 cows and 20 bulls and they are all successful you would get 50 calves. If you had 100 cows and 20 bulls you are gonna get 100 calves. Bulls can't have babies. More cow tags are issued to DECREASE a population not bull tags.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 08:37:22 AM »
I don't think cows going un-bred is the problem. If there isn't a mature herd bull around to do the deed, any rag horn will happily fill the gap.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Cheif

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
Been a long time coming

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 11:36:21 AM »
With so many elephants in the room...how long until we have elephant permits??

Just sayin.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »
this isn't quit how the science works. If you have 50 cows and 20 bulls and they are all successful you would get 50 calves. If you had 100 cows and 20 bulls you are gonna get 100 calves. Bulls can't have babies. More cow tags are issued to DECREASE a population not bull tags.
Spot on

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline gotcha

• Scout
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 04:10:06 PM »
It's sad its come to this. Hunters arguing with hunters. If our state didn't miss use our resources we all would not be having this conversation. Until we get people in the right position who support what is right for us hunters and the animals we all are going to loose.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 04:17:22 PM »
Archery success or lack of has very little affect on herd health and size. The thing the ability to pursue cows does is splits the hunter's up fairly equally east/ west. Take away the cow option and you probably see 50-60 percent of archery guys switch to west side ..so say go bye to the 3 point minimum after a couple of years.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 04:26:41 PM »
For those complaining about Washington cow elk tags....Oregon DFW would like you to "here, hold my beer we can top that" ....

OTC any legal weapon cow tags August through March.

I love elk hunting Oregon but wow it's going to be a massacre this year.  I know lots of elk-damage tags used to get issued, and if you went through an outfitter you could even exchange your unused fall bull tag for an elk-damage cow tag in January on ranch land for a small fee.   Now it's just OTC August through March for cows in those units.   The elk herd I like to hunt in the mountains in September migrates into that zone in the winter.   Very frustrating.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:36:01 PM by kselkhunter »

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 05:09:25 PM »
Have you guys been sharing your thoughts and research or observations with your Sportsmen organization? If your organization does not have some one that dives into that arena have you volunteered?

If you are concerned about your future hunting opportunities  get involved.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2020, 06:25:13 PM »
Last year they tried to make colockum permit for cow. People went nuts and they took away the cow permits, gave a few more to rifle and muzzy guys and went OTC archery cow. This year they pulled the OTC plug and filled it with zero archery cow tags.

I sent in my comments and asked that they give archery guys the option for permit cow.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2020, 11:27:49 PM »
Last year they tried to make colockum permit for cow. People went nuts and they took away the cow permits, gave a few more to rifle and muzzy guys and went OTC archery cow. This year they pulled the OTC plug and filled it with zero archery cow tags.

I sent in my comments and asked that they give archery guys the option for permit cow.
I belive that was 2 years ago the 2018 season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2020, 05:39:37 AM »
Hopefully no cow tags this year

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull