collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taller front sight  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Taller front sight
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 06:09:56 PM »
Interesting, i got a 70 year old marlin that had the same issue.  Seller even told me it shot high.  I bottomed out the dovetail and it was still way high.  Ordered a taller fiber optic front from skinner sights and fixed the problem.

Offline optic2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 01:20:42 AM »
I have an ace in the hole peep and am at the front end of the ramp and shooting low at 100.  I cannot find a shorter front sight for the life me. Any advice? Shooting a CVA Optima v2. Thanks in advance.  The title says Taller, I meant Shorter.

The real issue is that the rear sight is too far forward, it should be right near the back of the barrel right near the breech plug. It is built this way so you can put a rail on the gun for a scope and not have the stock rear sight interfere. The solution to your problem is to get an Eabco peeprib. Once your rear sight is further back then the stock front sight will work just fine. Plus, if you ever want to throw a scope on then you can (hunt in a firearms restricted area or in a state that allow scopes on a muzzy).

https://www.eabco.net/PeepRib-Peep-Sights-for-CVA-Optima-Kodiak-Wolf-and-Accura_p_13910.html

On mine I removed the sight that came with the peeprib and put a Williams ghost ring on it.
Thanks for the reply. I have my ace in the hole rail mounted all the way back and my peep is right in front of the plug and I’m still at the end of the ramp. Might need to get the file out.

I see that you're in Bothell. We could meetup at Kenmore rifle range once it's open again and you can try out my rifle.

Offline gaolista

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 03:13:43 PM »
Well I got my shims printed. 2mm, 3mm, 4mm. Need to get some longer screws, but I imagine it should work. When I get an opportunity to shoot I’ll let you know how it works.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 08:08:18 AM »
Tagging along, curious to see how this turns out
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline WingNut81

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »
I just went through the same thing with the same gun.  I have the Eabco rear peep and used the Marble Uni-ramp #72408 with .875 barrel diameter and .405 sight height.  A super easy and cheap fix.  The rifle shoots spot on with plenty of elevation adjustment up and down.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 12:28:50 PM »
I just went through the same thing with the same gun.  I have the Eabco rear peep and used the Marble Uni-ramp #72408 with .875 barrel diameter and .405 sight height.  A super easy and cheap fix.  The rifle shoots spot on with plenty of elevation adjustment up and down.
Well I just ordered the marble uni-ramp, I sure hope this site is tall enough, getting tired of buying sites.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline MeatMissile

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 07:09:08 PM »
Take the OEM screw to Fastenal and they’ll fix you up.

Offline elkhunter1977

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 08:31:00 PM »
I have an ace in the hole peep and am at the front end of the ramp and shooting low at 100.  I cannot find a shorter front sight for the life me. Any advice? Shooting a CVA Optima v2. Thanks in advance.  The title says Taller, I meant Shorter.

The real issue is that the rear sight is too far forward, it should be right near the back of the barrel right near the breech plug. It is built this way so you can put a rail on the gun for a scope and not have the stock rear sight interfere. The solution to your problem is to get an Eabco peeprib. Once your rear sight is further back then the stock front sight will work just fine. Plus, if you ever want to throw a scope on then you can (hunt in a firearms restricted area or in a state that allow scopes on a muzzy).

https://www.eabco.net/PeepRib-Peep-Sights-for-CVA-Optima-Kodiak-Wolf-and-Accura_p_13910.html

On mine I removed the sight that came with the peeprib and put a Williams ghost ring on it.
Not necessarily. I have a CVA optima v2 with a EABCO peep rib and the factory front site is too tall. I have yet to be able to find a shorter front sight. The best I can do is dead on at 50 and no more room for adjustment without a shorter front sight or shimming up the peeprib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fin,Fur,Feather Taxidermy
Richland, WA
 509-630-8966

Tri-Cities NWTF Chapter President

Offline callturner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 08:42:47 PM »
I use the ebco peep with w Lyman 17A and a tall beaded post insert that came with it  in my CVA . I was shooting 77 weighed gr of blackhorn but bumped it up to 84 and I get about a 2 1/2 in group at 100 yds. That's with a 300 gr Deep Curl in a Harvester crush rib sabot.

Offline riverrun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »
I had the same issue with needing more rear sight ramp travel. i'm shooting a 300gr. bullet and needed  more travel. found a lower front sight at E.Arthur Brown company which fits cva,traditions and others with a round barrel. I have a cva accura v2 shooting fiber sights and it solved my problem. Part no. 716-66661. Hope this helps!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]