collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Twisp Cougar  (Read 12213 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Twisp Cougar
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »
You forgot "Leaf Lickers"
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
Jingles just described the average cougar in Twisp alright....

You must mean the cougars that have taken up residence at BJ's Branding Iron Bar & Grill  :hello:

:chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline hunt6226

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: nra, sci
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 01:19:25 PM »

As a person that does live in the general area the reason they aren't getting whacked is because of all the flower sniffing, bunny loving, skinney skiing, granola eating, spandex wearing peddle pushing,
 prius driving, liberal tree huggers that have infected the Methow. Personally I half hope a cougar gets a skinney skier might change some attitudes.
[/quote]

Jiggles,    I just about choked on my Lasagna at that description  :chuckle: :chuckle:
It is extremely fitting description of them tho....

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »
Two season's ago they collared 3 cats that weren't to far out of town.  They had taken up residency in the area and were feeding on the WT & mule deer that were hanging around the orchards.  I know one cat got Bill's new dog two years ago, which was later found and killed.  Probably more cats around than most realize.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 07:31:29 PM »
Nothing new here about cougars on the valley floor during the winter - they've been eating pets every winter since there have been pets in the valley, even when hound hunting was allowed. The difference is that they get reported, collared and relocated (only to return to be someone else's problem) instead of killed on the spot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:46:29 PM by Twispriver »
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 08:29:11 PM »
It’s only. Going to get worse for all big game. The locals and the forest service have sold out the Methow to the huggers. Mountain bikers are calling the shots over there now.
Mountain bike trails being cut through prime wintering grounds for mule deer. Trails that have been used by game and hunters for years are now being groomed for mountain bikers. They are letting them ride till the snow flies in the Thompson Ridge, Coal Creek, and bridge creek areas.

We saw several groups of 20 or more riding the ridges above our camp this year.

The DFWL is helpless to stop it to just doesn’t care. So more and more game will be displaced. The folks living there are allowing it because Mountain Bikers are big spenders. Some day they will wish the made a different decision.

Rant over :sry:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Online timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 08:43:23 PM »
ghosthunter said "Some day they will wish the made a different decision."

Nah, they are living their utopia and it will never change in their eyes!  The best of them can't even figure why the forest are burning up like they are, they believe its climate change! :o   Got rid of the loggers, the mill and the cattle, the forest is safe now in their feeble minds!!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Gearhead1940

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 04:58:41 AM »
Hold up! Spandex wearing cougars roaming Winthrop? I see no problem here!  :chuckle:

I've got a cabin farther down the valley and have a cat on the cams and have seen tracks a few times. I'm just hoping I can drop it before the season ends this year (fingers crossed).

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »
Nothing new here about cougars on the valley floor during the winter - they've been eating pets every winter since there have been pets in the valley, even when hound hunting was allowed. The difference is that they get reported, collared and relocated (only to return to be someone else's problem) instead of killed on the spot.

Take a drive around the valley, count the deer you see, then drive though Twisp or Winthrop and count the deer and compare, nine times out of ten you will see more deer in town then the 40+ mile trip you drove on the back roads, winter or summer. This last summer I know of two different cougars in Twisp that were after dogs, I don’t remember that happening before wolves etc. there IS a difference between now and the “good old” days when hound hunting was allowed, and the protection of predators.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2020, 11:40:00 AM »
ghosthunter said "Some day they will wish the made a different decision."

Nah, they are living their utopia and it will never change in their eyes!  The best of them can't even figure why the forest are burning up like they are, they believe its climate change! :o   Got rid of the loggers, the mill and the cattle, the forest is safe now in their feeble minds!!

:yeah: They will follow their idols at NCW etc blindly...

The “recreational movement” has an agenda by using the ignorant to eventually shut down access to public lands, the spotted owl hoax took out logging, the wolves are destroying hunting and eventually range permits on public lands, roads will eventually be eliminated all in the name of some sort of new management plan that is needed to save whatever their next move entitles.

"The project also will remove 23 culverts and 34 miles of road. It has received broad support from conservation groups, as well as the Yakama Nation.”    https://www.capitalpress.com/ag_sectors/livestock/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-aimed-at-blocking-washington-forest-project/article_7f2d8070-34cd-11eb-b3d3-d7ac03798fe2.html

WDFW’s partner has their say..
"There are some good aspects to the project. Aquatic habitat restoration actions include significant road decommissioning,”
https://www.conservationnw.org/news-updates/take-action-to-protect-the-twisp-watershed-in-the-methow-valley/

feature=youtu.be

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2020, 02:21:27 PM »
I get the vitriol a little bit, but I had probably a dozen hunters wanting to shoot a yard deer this year at our place and sent them packing.  The number of hunters looking for access to cougar and bear hunt?  Exactly zero.

Offline Loup Loup

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WSTA, ITA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters, F4WM
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »
You guys complaining about Cougars, get up and go kill one or two. Its a great time to be a predator hunter.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2020, 06:20:12 AM »
You guys complaining about Cougars, get up and go kill one or two. Its a great time to be a predator hunter.
Easier said than done when you get back off the road and set up before  or right at daylight 20 to 30 minutes into a set and along comes a couple skinney skiers or hikers yapping their traps acting like they own the woods and you are infringing on their  kingdom and then have the balls to confront you when you gather your stuff to move to a different location.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Dick in the Dirt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 06:26:54 AM »
Easier said than done when you get back off the road and set up before  or right at daylight 20 to 30 minutes into a set and along comes a couple skinney skiers or hikers yapping their traps acting like they own the woods and you are infringing on their  kingdom and then have the balls to confront you when you gather your stuff to move to a different location.
Very true, the Valley is being over run. :yeah:

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2020, 10:38:05 AM »
Very true, the Valley is being over run. :yeah:

:yeah: :bash:

Cougars I saw last year were either on the county road or on private property. Three cougars I saw were sunning themselves on a river bottom front porch, owners thought the cats were so cute, etc.. Then there were a couple of cougar hanging in the orchard behind Hanks Market. The cougars I have seen aren't out in the back road country, why in the hell would they be, there aren't any deer there...

WDFW and UW chipped a yearling kitten down in the river bottoms, tried to leg trap the mamma and ended up breaking her leg, boom one cat down. Instead of taking care of the kittens which were too young to make it on their own they left them to fend for themselves, they cross the river and got into some goats if I remember right, and in the end one of the kittens finally ended up in a zoo. So cougar hunting these days is better close to town where their prey base range.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]