collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Living with Lions in Washington State | S1E03 | On the Hunt with Janis Putelis  (Read 4619 times)

Offline 253shotgunner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
Yeah I guess I hunt in coug country:

Turkey Geek

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Cool video.  Seeing how close that cat let them get really makes you wonder how many just let you walk on by.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
They are pretty tolerant of people when they are not being pursued much.  I'm curious how the data would compare in a state with an active hound hunting community

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
I've had a game warden tell me Washington has an estimated 2500 cat statewide.  Do you think that is accurate or grossly underestimated?  I have to believe it is 3-4 times that at a minimum. 

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
  • Is there anything better than hunting?
I think that might be a bit understated but close.  They say we have about 30,000 black bears and you see way more than 10 bears for every cat you see.  I know that isn’t an accurate or linear comparison but an estimate.

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
There has to be much more than 2500.  I also think their wolf counts are grossly underestimated.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
They are pretty tolerant of people when they are not being pursued much.  I'm curious how the data would compare in a state with an active hound hunting community

I grew up in hound hunting territory in Skagit county. Lots of dog boxes. We NEVER saw cats. They stayed well away from all things human even in the woods. We see them all the time now, and every area has sightings where they seem the least bit concerned. 1 not as many cats get killed in our area now and we have higher numbers. 2 they have not been conditioned that people and dogs are bad.

I think this study is good, but only necessary because we have to scientifically prove something that people have known for a long time.  My hope is that this helps us deal with cats and that a pursuit season only would make people safer.

I wish more tribal guys had the inclination to hound hunt.  The abundance of cats and bears would make for some great dogging, and would help everyone beyond compare.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
Idaho isn't lacking in lions, even with the wolves, hounds and everyone shooting every predator they come across,  I still come across more lions in Idaho.   More game, more lions..

Up in the NE corner I'm noticing its taking more miles to cut a lion track after first few snows, less deer, less lions. 

There's still a ton of lions, but the pop of lions seems to get denser the closer you get to people, farms and deer.  Get way back, and it's getting hard to find one!

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
I don't remember the exact numbers (I lost my book review page when I upgraded my website, and I think I lost the backup of it too when a hdd crashed, but...) the founder of the Olympic Game Farm was a bounty cat hunter back in the day, and he took amazing numbers of cats out of a couple specific areas every year. Year after year. They always replenished. Same areas, next year, same numbers. Granted, that was in the 40's/50's, but the idea still communicates, way more cats than anyone realizes. 
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline 7t9cobra

• Hunter
I've had a game warden tell me Washington has an estimated 2500 cat statewide.  Do you think that is accurate or grossly underestimated?  I have to believe it is 3-4 times that at a minimum.

WDFW claims there are approx. 3,000 cougars in WA state. They claimed this at a cougar conflict meeting a couple years back. I found out they do not count tribal land, federal land and any cat under 2 years old. If you do the math on that, it puts the number closer to 10,000 IMO. But they don't want you to know that.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
Most recent printed WDFW info says 2,000.  Lion foundation says 1,500 and declining.  People that have experience say no way to accurately give a number.  With declining deer and elk, increasing wolves and expanding people providing new prey, I am sure the number is on the move up, down and side ways.  Thanks for all the pics, please keep them coming!!!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Great video and information
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Pretty awesome video
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
Good video... Really makes sense to have hound hunting outlawed and then pay guys with hounds to kill 50-60 lions a year because of depredation . Washington needs a governor that will say this doesn't pencil out and isn't working so we are going to change things.

Offline SWHUNTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Healthy cat?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX