collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Closest shot on a harvested animal?  (Read 12298 times)

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Re: Closest shot on a harvested animal?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2022, 12:14:59 PM »
I remember quail hunting with my Dad and Uncle, quail were flushing everywhere and I locked onto one flying toward me, he wasn't far off the tip of my barrel when the shot broke, mostly some feathers and feet is all we got of that one

I didn't even think about bird hunting. I shot a quail when I was a young that was a foot away from my head with a 22 rifle. Essentially I was kneeling down looking under some tall Scotch broom for quail (as they would run around under the scotch broom and I would shoot them with the 22 rifle when they stopped), when a quail flew up and landed on a branch of a small alder tree, I was next to, a foot from my head. I slowly turned the rifle and put it about 4" from the quails head and pulled the trigger.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2022, 12:55:04 PM »
I shot a wigeon at about 1 yard, hopefully won't do that again.  It was close to a self defense situation, usually they fly away from me quickly but this one did the opposite.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2022, 02:10:43 PM »
Hahaha! Oh birds!  My first year hunting my dad took me out to the wenas for the youth pheasant opener. First rooster we kicked up I took forever to shoot and the bird was too far away. Of course I got yelled at for screwing it up :chuckle: So the next rooster that kicked up I wasn't gonna give him an inch and promptly spatchcocked him with a load of #6 shot. Needless to say I once again got yelled at.  There's probably STILL feathers floating around the hay shed out there  :chuckle: 🤦‍♂️
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2022, 03:17:31 PM »
Hahaha! Oh birds!  My first year hunting my dad took me out to the wenas for the youth pheasant opener. First rooster we kicked up I took forever to shoot and the bird was too far away. Of course I got yelled at for screwing it up :chuckle: So the next rooster that kicked up I wasn't gonna give him an inch and promptly spatchcocked him with a load of #6 shot. Needless to say I once again got yelled at.  There's probably STILL feathers floating around the hay shed out there  :chuckle: 🤦‍♂️
other than the species this sounds very much like the detailed version of my memory lol!
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2022, 05:13:43 PM »
In my 25 years of hunting archery, muzzy, and rifle. My furthest shot was about 150. My closest probably 15

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2022, 06:41:49 PM »
Was archery hunting in Weyco.  Driving down a road early morning saw a deer a little ways down a spur. Drove past and parked the truck and walked up the spur and saw a deer trail in the cut where the deer was pointed.  Snuck down the deer trail and jumped up on the beaten up old growth snag laying across the trail.  A deer was bedded just feet away on the backside of the log and stood looking at me after taking a step.  Dont remember how many feet away from me it was but I was staring at the dew drops on the spike's whiskers and eyelashes as I drew my bow only half way and horizontal when i released...didn't even use the pins and he went about 3 steps and tipped over.
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2022, 08:10:37 PM »
7 yards on a bull elk with bow.
20 yards on a bear with bow from the ground, no blind.
2-3 feet on a 3x3 mule deer that someone else shot in the lower back leg. The poor deer was hiding under an apple tree. I just pointed from the hip and shot.
10 yards on a rock chuck with a 20 gauge shotgun after sneaking up on it in an open pasture and shallow ditch. I was young and would hunt anything. I was rewarded with #6 shot in the shin after ricocheting off the rocks.

Have had to move out of the way of elk to not be stepped on. May have slapped the butt of a bison in a National Park. Stalked/walked up on a cougar eating a porcupine--7 yards.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2022, 06:07:55 PM »
12 years old my first deer.  10 pt white tail 30 yards rifle.  Last shot before he tipped over less than 2 foot.  Archery my first mule deer 20 feet out of a blind.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bfranklin81

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2022, 12:16:17 AM »
I've shot 4 deer with my muzzleloader. Longest shot was about 40yds. Two of them were within 20 feet.

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Scout
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2022, 06:29:59 AM »
Archery late whitetail- in a two man ladder stand, weather was terrible all day so I was shivering and wet, buck chasing doe come by just before last light. First shot on buck grazed his brisket just under at 35 yards (buck fever!) Doe was hanging around the corn pile, buck spooked a bit then came back around to check on his doe. He ended up about two yards away just under my stand, second arrow did the job and he expired within 50 yards. Neat hunt that day I also had elk come through due to wind and weird weather because my stand was basically set up near backyards of suburban Spokane Valley. Goes to show you never know what’ll happen just get out there!

Offline Caseknife

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2022, 07:07:08 AM »
When I was 19 or 20, I was hunting with my Mom's .270 that was built by Winn Vickerman, it had a Stith Bearcub 2 3/4 power scope with a 2 minute Lee dot.  It was about the third day of elk season and had seen a huge rutting muley a day before, so when I smelled a gamey animal, thought it was the same buck from the day before.  Looked to my right about 15 yards, I could see an elk eye, ear and spike antler above some regen firs looking right at me.  Hmm, where to aim.........that Lee dot lined right up with the eye of the bull, boom!  Huh? He is still standing there, WTH?  Take a step to the right and shoot again at the base of the skull, down and kicking this time.  No idea why that bull made the fatal mistake of standing still after the first shot, but it worked for me.

Another was about 15 years later and I had my Winchester 338WM, opening morning of elk season just up the ridge from camp at what my buddy named the "changing rock".  Standing there looking up the ridge and across the canyon, I heard huffing and puffing below and behind me.  Here come 4 elk, three cows and a spike, up the steep trail and right to me.  Shot that spike bull at about 20 feet.  Not a real good test of the venerable 338, but dead elk opening morning.  Had to go find a phone spot and call my buddy who was missing elk season because he was moving and rub it in a bit, haha.

Offline TommyGun496

• Hunter
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2022, 02:33:14 PM »
10yrds on a bull.  I missed him at 130yrds (muzzy) about a half an hour before.  I know they were they were going, so I headed that way and set up on there escape route.  The stars aligned after that!

Offline Ricochet

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2022, 07:46:43 PM »
Bull elk at 7 yards with my bow.
Blacktail buck(bedded) at 25 yards with my rifle.
Blacktail buck at 6 yards with my shotgun.
Mule deer at 20 yards with my muzzleloader.
Cougar at 12 yards with my handgun.
Thanks to the OP for starting this trip down memory lane.  :tup:
It is not my duty to validate your delusions.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2022, 04:46:53 PM »
I’ve taken a coyote at 6 yards with a 7mm and a 3pt whitetail at 5 yds with my 7mm 😂
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2022, 05:02:46 PM »
Does walking up to a animal and grabbing his antlers and it bounding up and running off far enough for me to see it in my scope before I finished it off count?? :chuckle:
The only good tree, is a stump!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand