collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bellingham to pay man $15000 for harrassment  (Read 12716 times)

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sourdough
Re: Bellingham to pay man $15000 for harrassment
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »

Personally I don't open carry (at least not very often)  I've always felt concealed carry was a much better option and made more sense...... For me.    But with settlements of 15 Grand being paid out I might start open carrying in public places a little more frequently.  The odds of "Hitting the Legal jackpot" are probably much higher than winning the lottery.   Of course that only works if some Idiot Cop doesn't shoot you first.   :o

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
Your taxes are covering the $15k this guy is getting because of a power tripping cop... does he really deserve a payment of any kind?  Cop deserves to lose his job for unjustifiably pulling on a lawful citizen, I agree 100%. But the guy getting $15k out of a municipal fund for the idiot with a badge's actions? :bdid:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
Your taxes are covering the $15k this guy is getting because of a power tripping cop... does he really deserve a payment of any kind?  Cop deserves to lose his job for unjustifiably pulling on a lawful citizen, I agree 100%. But the guy getting $15k out of a municipal fund for the idiot with a badge's actions? :bdid:

Yes,   
 "This Guy"  A Law abiding citizen who was exercising his right to carry a firearm for personal protection, had his life threatened by an officer of the Law (who was unaware of the laws?).  This officer needs to be held accountable as well as the jurisdiction that employed a peace officer with out the proper training or knowledge of the law.  I would much rather my tax dollars be paid to Law abiding Legal citizens who were wronged than to Illegal immigrants looking for a hand out.   

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:10:35 PM by TheSkyBuster »

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:28:52 AM »
Yes I would rather see the cop lose his job. That small sum seems rather grimy. Like a payoff.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:31:57 AM »
I would much rather my tax dollars be paid to Law abiding Legal citizens who were wronged than to Illegal immigrants looking for a hand out.

Wasn't aware those were the only two choices...   :rolleyes:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:37:33 AM »
My 2c.  Maybe the guy who got the gun pointed at him needs to feel a little less bad about his hurt feelings of having a gun poinnted at him and return the 15k and ask that the officer get a permanent write up in his file.  The Master Sargent has made his point and the police and 911 operators will get more training, point made and move on.  No need whatsoever to pay him 15K. 
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 07:03:45 AM »
Never know. The guy with the open carry might of had a "Conservation Northwest" t shirt on. Maybe the cop felt threatened because or their radicalism, environmental dealings. :chuckle:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »
Good for him. I hope he gets a new gun and a tone of ammo and accessories. I think monetary awards do two things; they compensate and they teach. It must've been pretty scary having a pistol pointed at him and because he was doing absolutely nothing wrong, he should be compensated for that trauma. The $15K will make sure the police officers in the department are thoroughly trained as to our rights and serves as a deterrent to future infringements. Cops and other government officials need to be reminded sometimes that we're their bosses, especially those of us who aren't breaking the law.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:24:01 AM »
Good for him. I hope he gets a new gun and a tone of ammo and accessories. I think monetary awards do two things; they compensate and they teach. It must've been pretty scary having a pistol pointed at him and because he was doing absolutely nothing wrong, he should be compensated for that trauma. The $15K will make sure the police officers in the department are thoroughly trained as to our rights and serves as a deterrent to future infringements. Cops and other government officials need to be reminded sometimes that we're their bosses, especially those of us who aren't breaking the law.

Unfortunately, as "their bosses," we're also the ones giving them their money for the $15k fine (although i am not sure if insurance kicks in right away or if there is a deductible). Point is, it's not money out of their pocket, but rather ours. I private industry, if an employee costs the owner a $15k fine, they can easily fire them so it doesn't happen again. Here, our only choice is to open our wallets and ask "how much do you need now?"

Offline NWWA Hunter

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, DU, MDF, SCI
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:05 AM »
No amount is enough to have a gun pulled on me!
Take your kids into the outdoors. They are our future. Support conservation by joining and participating in future through NRA, SCI, RMEF, Wild Sheep or any of the other great organizations.

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
 :yeah: but 15K is a good start :tup:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:38 AM »

That's lawyer-think, P-Man.  That's what is at the root of the problems in this country.  Open carrying a gun, and he got $15K worth of scared when one is pulled on him?  I call BS on that.   He had the hardware himself, he had the understanding of what a gun does (which is nothing that the possessor doesn't make it to do).  How much do you ask from one of your pheasant hunting buddies if he accidentally sweeps you with his muzzle when he switches arms?  'Bout a grand for that?  How about the guy that hands you the gun from the display case but doesn't clear it before handing it over, but doesn't point it at you?  $500 off the price of the gun for that one?  When I'm hunting and I get scoped (happened once), I get pissed, not scared.  I certainly don't go and ask the idiot for $15K for doing it.  If I get the chance, I tell him what a stupid move that was.  Paying out $15K out of a muni fund is just $15K worth of something else that is actually needed and doesn't happen.  Like training cops on the laws they are sworn to protect, which happens to jump into my mind at this point for some reason.

Ambulance-chaser lawyers are ruining this country.  We are the laughing stock of the world when it comes to frivolous lawsuits. This $15K wasn't paid to compensate for fear, it was paid for his signature to guarantee he won't sue.  Think about that - the city of BHam paid $15K to some guy who suffered no actual loss.  $15K just to keep it out of the courts.  And smart people seem to think this is ok?  Sad.   :bash:
KABOOM Count - 1

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »

Unfortunately, as "their bosses," we're also the ones giving them their money for the $15k fine (although i am not sure if insurance kicks in right away or if there is a deductible). Point is, it's not money out of their pocket, but rather ours. I private industry, if an employee costs the owner a $15k fine, they can easily fire them so it doesn't happen again. Here, our only choice is to open our wallets and ask "how much do you need now?"

Yes, and as a taxpayer, that gives me extra incentive to put pressure on my police force to do their job correctly. County sherrifs are elected and so are mayors who appoint police chiefs. If they don't appoint the right one and put pressure on them to do their jobs without infringing on law-abiding citizens, they get voted out. Just because the taxpayers foot the bill doesn't mean that the award shouldn't be given.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:19 AM »

That's lawyer-think, P-Man.  That's what is at the root of the problems in this country.  Open carrying a gun, and he got $15K worth of scared when one is pulled on him?  I call BS on that.   He had the hardware himself, he had the understanding of what a gun does (which is nothing that the possessor doesn't make it to do).  How much do you ask from one of your pheasant hunting buddies if he accidentally sweeps you with his muzzle when he switches arms?  'Bout a grand for that?  How about the guy that hands you the gun from the display case but doesn't clear it before handing it over, but doesn't point it at you?  $500 off the price of the gun for that one?  When I'm hunting and I get scoped (happened once), I get pissed, not scared.  I certainly don't go and ask the idiot for $15K for doing it.  If I get the chance, I tell him what a stupid move that was.  Paying out $15K out of a muni fund is just $15K worth of something else that is actually needed and doesn't happen.  Like training cops on the laws they are sworn to protect, which happens to jump into my mind at this point for some reason.

Ambulance-chaser lawyers are ruining this country.  We are the laughing stock of the world when it comes to frivolous lawsuits. This $15K wasn't paid to compensate for fear, it was paid for his signature to guarantee he won't sue.  Think about that - the city of BHam paid $15K to some guy who suffered no actual loss.  $15K just to keep it out of the courts.  And smart people seem to think this is ok?  Sad.   :bash:

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. It's Constitution think. If you were practicing your 1st Amendment right of free speech and a cop stuck a gun in your face for doing so, do you think that's right? It's no different with the 2nd Amendment. Both are equally guaranteed to us under our beloved Constitution. If the cop and the force have no repercussions for doing so, do you think they'll change their ways? They won't.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]