collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW Director Unsworth has a bad day  (Read 31550 times)

Offline Man Tracker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • none
  • Groups: TTOS, DU, Pheasants Forever
Re: WDFW Director Unsworth has a bad day
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
Unsworthy was truly an embarrassment for all sportsmen and women.  I have to admit I enjoyed the Chair calling him out.  Shocking (or maybe not) how unprepared he was for questions.  Thanks to Wacenturian and UC for all their efforts, past and present.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
I just now went back and actually watched the video presentation.  Wow, how embarassing to say the least. 

UC, to answer your question, I really doubt anything will ever change.  It's government and evolves as such.  The only hope would be to have someone come in that actually knows enough about resource management or has the managerial skills to trust people who do, to make tough decisions.

The last opportunity WDFW to do that in my opinion was Bern Shanks.  Although not what some would consider a natural resource expert, he has excellent management skills.  He was good at letting people make decisions that made a difference.  He could also recognize BS.  He bucked the system and pissed off a few Regional Managers and upper management types.  He eventually got rewarded with backstabbing and exit.

I used to believe in the commission, however I don't anymore.  They have shown they are inept.  Example...when the Alaska hire ( Koenings) who was director for ten years was forced out, they did a nationwide search for a new director.  Best they could do was Anderson, the previous director's assistant?  I had a hard time understanding how that was the best they could do considering he would probably not even meet the qualifications for a wildlife director's job anywhere in the county due to his lack of educational requirements and experience.  I'm not knocking him personally mind you, just the process. 

The previous director before him was another commission blunder.  Research biologists, as he was in the fish arena, tend to be held in high esteem in many agencies, but I can tell you they don't have the real world experience or interaction with the public that they need to serve.  All the commission saw was the word SALMON, the flavor of the day.  Enough said.  Decade wasted in my opinion. 

Considering we have and always probably will have a democrat for a governor, I certainly don't trust that option either.  The only possible hope would be to have an elected position like DNR, with a statewide elected official.  Might get lucky, but then again, the I-5 population corridor might drop a tree hugger in our laps.  Not to sure I'm comfortable with that either.   

I've been retired just over 14 years now.  I loved my job, but hated the politics and some of the egos I had to tolerate.  I also miss the old Dept. of Game, and what it was when I started.  Even with our shortcomings way back when, we were better.  We for the most part appreciated the folks that paid our salaries and made our careers possible.  I know I did.  Times have certainly changed.  Yesterday's sportsman who I met day in and day out, tend to be defined in today's agency, in two words, Joe Sixpack.  They have forgotten just who they serve.  Not all mind you, but policy and those who influence it, have.  Sad........ :twocents:   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:13:00 PM by Wacenturion »
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:29 PM »
What pisses me off about this guy is he goes over reason after to reason to increase fees, lies about having public support, and never once mentions ways they can reduce wasteful spending or salary freezes.........and I'm quite sure there are plenty WE could find.
There's wasteful spending literally every form of government. At the last WDFW Commission meeting the commission was briefed on recent cost savings by being more efficient, the presentation is here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2017/02/feb1017_08_presentation.pdf

:chuckle: You'll forgive me for laughing, but after watching that display of deceit, I'm not going to hold much regard for any WDFW prepared presentation on cost savings.

........carry on. :chuckle:

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
I've looked into a career from WDFW from time to time.  Fact is they don't pay enough to get me excited.  A salary freeze isn't the issue.  Cutting certain unnecessary positions may be tho  :twocents:

There is WAY too much admin and WAY too much spent on "programs" and I'll pick wolves as a category that I disagree with. 

There is too much confusion in the leadership dept.  Are decisions made on science or public opinion?  IF it's public opinion, why have educated biologists?  They lean too far towards the backyard bird watchers, gardeners and who knows what else and forget about the bread and butter fish and game.   :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »
Wow, that was a bad day.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
What pisses me off about this guy is he goes over reason after to reason to increase fees, lies about having public support, and never once mentions ways they can reduce wasteful spending or salary freezes.........and I'm quite sure there are plenty WE could find.
There's wasteful spending literally every form of government. At the last WDFW Commission meeting the commission was briefed on recent cost savings by being more efficient, the presentation is here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2017/02/feb1017_08_presentation.pdf

But regarding salary freezes. This is something that can only be done by the governor or legislature, not independent govt agencies, and it'll effect all agencies. The feds work the same way. You can't have WDFW in a salary freeze for example but all state other agencies not.

@bigtex how is selling more 2 pole endorsements being more efficient?  The other stuff doesn't have any costs associated with it and doesn't actually tell if they are saving money.  I love lean, TPS, Six Sigma, etc - I've attended classes, read the books, got the certs, and have incorporated it at our company.  That being said, I absolutely hate it when people say they are "going lean" and not actually doing so.   

Personally I think this, and the other examples of "lean" I've seen come from the WA government are garbage.  They don't carry real data unless it's overwhelmingly positive, and that data is usually irrelevant that they are trying to spin to sound legitimate.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »
I think the simple answer to gov't $ issues is that much like the rest of our gov't, we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem.  The focus seems to always be charge more/create more revenue NOT reduce the spending.

WHEN they want to reduce spending, they go after the emotional topics.  Game Wardens, teachers, police, fire fighters etc.....
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
I totally agree.  When they push for money, it's always "What, you don't support your game wardens?" 

I don't think that the average WDFW employee is bad, but I do think that the executives have a responsibility to create a culture of continuous improvement and they are failing at that.   It has to be something that is pushed from the top and Unsworth is clearly not up to the challenge.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2017, 04:13:28 PM »
Well said wacenturion, and I couldn't agree more.  Now what do we do about fixing it, or is that even possible?
When I left WDFW 10 years ago, there were 600-some employees statewide and 900-some in Olympia.  I doubt much has changed.  Reversing those ratios would be a great start.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »
I totally agree.  When they push for money, it's always "What, you don't support your game wardens?"
That's every government though. For WDFW its officers and WDFW lands. For cities it's the police department, fire department, and parks. They try to go after the programs that the citizens support most.

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »
That's every government though. For WDFW its officers and WDFW lands. For cities it's the police department, fire department, and parks. They try to go after the programs that the citizens support most.
So that makes it right?  NO......FIX IT
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2017, 07:09:21 PM »
So that makes it right?  NO......FIX IT
Pretty sure I didn't say it's right...

Offline Man Tracker

• Hunter
    • none
  • Groups: TTOS, DU, Pheasants Forever
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2017, 08:56:51 PM »
Sounds like the next (likely)DFW Enforcement is undergoing a background investigation.  A retired administrator from Alaska.  Bigtex, you have any intel?

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2017, 03:34:15 AM »
Sounds like the next (likely)DFW Enforcement is undergoing a background investigation.  A retired administrator from Alaska.  Bigtex, you have any intel?
I don't. Considering game wardens in Alaska (and Oregon) are a part of the state patrol they are strongly encouraged to engage in non-fish/wildlife enforcement activities. So if this Alaska hire is true there may not be changes in terms of enforcement activity by WDFW Officers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
I will say this...

Every trooper I've ever ran across in Alaska has been very impressive.  I believe they are the best in the business.  It's always been incredible to me how good of a job they do over so much land and being short handed.     :tup:
-Ronald Reagan

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw