collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho Commission Meeting  (Read 17267 times)

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Idaho Commission Meeting
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 12:04:18 PM »
The commission approved the agency proposed legislation requesting fee increases.  It now goes to the legislature for approval...can't imagine they will not pass this.
Who thinks an increase from $93 to $553 for Non-resident Junior/DAV deer and elk tag/license is a good idea :bash:  Yes it was a great deal while it lasted.
I think you answered your own question...it was so far below market price that it would be almost negligent for them not to raise prices.
if profiting off of children is the goal then yes you are correct. But once again I'll argue that in the long run you alienate future customers and further hurt the heritage of hunting. Our numbers are dwindling at an alarming rate but our fish and game agencies just keep doubling down. But hey screw those NR hunters who fund 90% of our game agencies that allow us residents low tag costs, and those NR that dump MILLIONS into our local economies  :rolleyes:
I appreciate the emotional argument of "lets protect the kids" - but the reality is if a kid hunting out of state is that important then mom or dad can still make it happen as even with these price increases this is still a better deal than nearly every similar state.  If its a family priority - it will still happen.  I don't think its fair to put this under the "screw those NR hunters" category.       

Its a real privilege for a youth to be able to hunt out of state.  To cry foul because the NR youth now will have to pay more (but still about 1/2 of full price) just isn't going to resonate and is not at the top of any concerns when it comes to hunter recruitment and retention. If this legislation was focused on raising youth resident tags (in any state) - then I think your points would be fair regarding pricing kids out of hunting.  :twocents:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
Every state sticks it to the NR hunters and fishermen, it's hard to argue against that.  They pay a big multiple of residents across the board for virtually everything.

If we are only talking about youth hunter recruitment, then doubling the prices will hurt that.  It certainly isn't going to draw more people.  Some will still go and some won't, nobody knows until it's in the rearview mirror.  I think the point is that hunter recruitment doesn't seem to come up much when prices are set and the trend lately seems to be in closing the gap between youth and adult prices and reducing youth draw hunts.

Some people will absolutely be priced out with every increase, that is something I don't think we can deny.  With all of the other things kids can do with their time, I just wonder how many more hurdles we can give them before we see an even bigger problem.  There are very good reasons why fishing licenses are free for kids and the same argument holds true for hunting.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
Every state sticks it to the NR hunters and fishermen, it's hard to argue against that.  They pay a big multiple of residents across the board for virtually everything.

If we are only talking about youth hunter recruitment, then doubling the prices will hurt that.  It certainly isn't going to draw more people.  Some will still go and some won't, nobody knows until it's in the rearview mirror.  I think the point is that hunter recruitment doesn't seem to come up much when prices are set and the trend lately seems to be in closing the gap between youth and adult prices and reducing youth draw hunts.

Some people will absolutely be priced out with every increase, that is something I don't think we can deny.  With all of the other things kids can do with their time, I just wonder how many more hurdles we can give them before we see an even bigger problem.  There are very good reasons why fishing licenses are free for kids and the same argument holds true for hunting.
$93 to $563 is quite a bit more than doubling it. :yike:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:57:53 PM by ballpark »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:03 PM »
I would think most new youth hunters will be hunting in their own state so I'm not following how this has a significant impact on hunter recruitment.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
I would think most new youth hunters will be hunting in their own state so I'm not following how this has a significant impact on hunter recruitment.

Agreed
Zonk Volmer

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »
I took my son 4 nephews and one niece over to Idaho to deer hunt. I dangled a carrot of Idaho as reward for a 3.5 GPA in school. Cost me about $600 to dangle that carrot, however that would not have been an option at $550 each and I'm not sure they'd still be hunting today by trying to hunt the Washington sh*t show. 3 of them harvested their first deer over there, all but one still hunt!!
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »
Kids hunt where their parent or mentor hunt.  If their parent or mentor is priced out, the kid is priced out.  If you don't hunt when you are growing up, the chance of you picking it up when you are an adult is extremely slim.

Additionally, not every state has reasonable big game opportunities so they head to a state like ID to hunt.  If NR fees are too high, they don't hunt anywhere.

Finally, we keep chipping away at the edges between short seasons, complicated regulations, reduced access to public opportunities, expensive licenses, fewer draw tags, firearm restrictions and the list goes on.  Any of them by themselves may not be a big deal, but added together they are a huge hurdle to new hunters.

From my perspective, more decisions need to be looked at through the lens of maintaining and building the hunting base.  We are already seeing what happens in a state like WA when sportsmen become a small minority.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2019, 01:10:14 PM »
You need not worry.
The money grab will happen.....just a matter of when.

I hope they spend the extra money on enforcement because they will need twice as much.

Less opportunity and less wildlife at a premium.
Neat.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2019, 01:28:19 PM »
If the future of hunting depends on parents taking their youth hunters out of state to hunt big game, then it's most likely not going to end well.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2019, 01:41:24 PM »
If the future of hunting depends on parents taking their youth hunters out of state to hunt big game, then it's most likely not going to end well.
so we just throw our hands up :dunno: if you live in any of the many western states besides WA I dont see a reason to migrate your kids across state lines. I've yet to hunt anywhere besides wilderness in WA during a modern season were I would consider it even remotely close to a quality experience.  Like I've said now for the millionth time, there is paying the bills and then there is greed. This is greed.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »
Where are you guys coming up with $500 or $550 to take youth hunting in the new proposal?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2019, 01:54:54 PM »
The future of hunting relies on recruiting new hunters.  None of these changes should be considered in a vacuum.  It's all part of the equation that ends up with either more hunting or less hunting.

It's like saying that banning hound hunting is an ok idea because if you want to hunt bears you will find a way to make it happen and most people that hunt bears don't use hounds anyway.  Banning hound hunting resulted in fewer bear hunters.  Maybe a few less, maybe a lot less, but less for sure.

I look at all of this stuff big picture.

Anyway, that's my view.  Good luck in ID or wherever you roam this fall.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
The future of hunting relies on recruiting new hunters.  None of these changes should be considered in a vacuum.  It's all part of the equation that ends up with either more hunting or less hunting.

It's like saying that banning hound hunting is an ok idea because if you want to hunt bears you will find a way to make it happen and most people that hunt bears don't use hounds anyway.  Banning hound hunting resulted in fewer bear hunters.  Maybe a few less, maybe a lot less, but less for sure.

I look at all of this stuff big picture.

Anyway, that's my view.  Good luck in ID or wherever you roam this fall.
spot on
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2019, 02:48:28 PM »
Where are you guys coming up with $500 or $550 to take youth hunting in the new proposal?
Deer + Elk Jr. Mentored/DAV License and tag.
Tag - Deer $22 (new $175) Elk $38 (new $298)
License - $30 (new $90)

Got to read the whole thing - man :tup:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:54:37 PM by ballpark »

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2019, 02:52:01 PM »

For a youth to hunt Idaho next year for deer and elk it will be $563...if my math is right.  This year I believe it cost them $93 for the same three items, hunting lic, deer tag and elk tag.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 07:02:34 AM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by blackveltbowhunter
[Today at 06:44:48 AM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 06:33:38 AM]

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]