collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho Commission Meeting  (Read 17251 times)

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Idaho Commission Meeting
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »
Roger it just seemed like most of the guys were just talking about taking a kid deer hunting. Personally I have sympathy for the kids that are actually working and paying for this stuff on their own but I’d say that’s extremely rare.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2019, 02:52:06 PM »
If the future of hunting depends on parents taking their youth hunters out of state to hunt big game, then it's most likely not going to end well.
so we just throw our hands up :dunno: if you live in any of the many western states besides WA I dont see a reason to migrate your kids across state lines. I've yet to hunt anywhere besides wilderness in WA during a modern season were I would consider it even remotely close to a quality experience.  Like I've said now for the millionth time, there is paying the bills and then there is greed. This is greed.
I'm not throwing my hands up and certainly not advocating that. There is still quality hunting in Washington for youths. There are youth deer and elk permits with good draw odds. WDFW puts on some mentored hunts for youth for species like turkey and often don't have enough youth turn out to take advantage of them.

It is unfortunate that hunting is becoming more expensive; that hurts all hunters.

Whether or not states which are raising their prices simply out of greed is debatable. I suspect that with the large influx of non-resident hunters that states like Idaho have got recently some of the pressure to raise prices came from resident hunters.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »
Compare the cost to Washington nonresident prices and quality of hunting and I’d say Idaho could double the price and it’d still be a better value.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Where are you guys coming up with $500 or $550 to take youth hunting in the new proposal?
Deer + Elk Jr. Mentored/DAV License and tag.
Tag - Deer $22 (new $175) Elk $38 (new $298)
License - $30 (new $90)

Got to read the whole thing - man :tup:

If they archery hunt or muzzy hunt add another $80.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2019, 02:58:45 PM »
Where are you guys coming up with $500 or $550 to take youth hunting in the new proposal?
License - $30 (new $90)

So maybe pass on the elk until the kids old enough to make his own money? You can still take your kid deer hunting in idaho for $265, thats really not bad for non resident.  I bet a lot of people complaining about it spend more than a hundred bucks a month on cable tv.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »
License - $30 (new $90)

So maybe pass on the elk until the kids old enough to make his own money? You can still take your kid deer hunting in idaho for $265, thats really not bad for non resident.  I bet a lot of people complaining about it spend more than a hundred bucks a month on cable tv.
It started by me whining about Non-Resident and Non-Resident Jr. Mentored/DAV going up, and has morphed into taking your kids hunting. :tup:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2019, 05:58:20 PM »
I would think most new youth hunters will be hunting in their own state so I'm not following how this has a significant impact on hunter recruitment.

:yeah: I never hunted out of state till I was in my late 30s or early 40s and It was just to go back and hunt in Montana where I grew up hunting. Most youth I don't think hunt out of state.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »
I took my son 4 nephews and one niece over to Idaho to deer hunt. I dangled a carrot of Idaho as reward for a 3.5 GPA in school. Cost me about $600 to dangle that carrot, however that would not have been an option at $550 each and I'm not sure they'd still be hunting today by trying to hunt the Washington sh*t show. 3 of them harvested their first deer over there, all but one still hunt!!

I took my son as an Idaho resident to harvest his first few deer in Washington as a non-resident. We started when he was 8 to take advantage of they ability to hunt under 12 over there. He is still an avid hunter today at 16. His first deer was a doe and it was one of the most fun and memorable hunts of my life and I have hunted lots of places and about any critter you can legally hunt. I would think you could take kids hunting over there and have a good if not great experience as long as your expectations are not shooting 180 inch deer or like in our case even a buck. My first deer was a doe also and I have not slowed down hunting for 40 years, in fact I think the addiction has gotten worse!   

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2019, 06:35:53 PM »
If the future of hunting depends on parents taking their youth hunters out of state to hunt big game, then it's most likely not going to end well.

Agreed -my dad never ever mentioned hunting out of state when I was a kid. I had a hard time convincing him to drive east of the mountains in Montana  :chuckle: I don't remember any discount on my resident license and there definitely was NO special youth hunts or draws. States already do more for youth hunters than they did when I was a kid. I agree with special opportunities for kids 100% but acting like states are not doing more trying to recruit youth hunters is not true. Out of state hunting for youth is a luxury some kids get if they are lucky to be born to avid hunting parents that can afford it or prioritize their spending so they can afford it 

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2019, 06:58:45 PM »

Out of state hunting for youth is a luxury some kids get if they are lucky to be born to avid hunting parents that can afford it or prioritize their spending so they can afford it

Oh come on, its 2019.  Where is your sense of entitlement?  :chuckle:

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2019, 07:04:39 PM »
Looks like the liberals in Idaho have taken over. Most are anti-veteran. No matter how many times they thank you for your service, they still despise you. The new prices are obviously being targeted against veterans. This is not an accident Also kill the youth hunting and kill future hunting which is their ultimate goal. They are purposely ignoring the financial contributions that non-resident hunters already provide to the IDFG budget and the huge boon non-resident hunters have on the small town local economies. Meals, lodging, equipment, fuel and guide services are some of the sales from out-of-staters that will be destroyed.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »
As a Vet and former WA resident I don't take it that way at all.  Before they changed it so that Non-Resident Disabled Vets paid resident prices, I still hunted Idaho, at full Non-Resident prices.  It was VERY nice when they changed it.  But if I was still a Non-Resident Disabled Vet, I would still be coming here to hunt.  And I would imagine 85%+ youth mainly hunt their own state.  I never brought my kids over here to Idaho, but hunted plenty with all three boys in WA while they were still living at home.  These are still great prices for Non-Resident Disabled Vets, granted not nearly as good as they were, but still great prices...ones that I would absolutely still pay.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2019, 08:07:43 PM »
Looks like the liberals in Idaho have taken over. Most are anti-veteran. No matter how many times they thank you for your service, they still despise you. The new prices are obviously being targeted against veterans. This is not an accident Also kill the youth hunting and kill future hunting which is their ultimate goal. They are purposely ignoring the financial contributions that non-resident hunters already provide to the IDFG budget and the huge boon non-resident hunters have on the small town local economies. Meals, lodging, equipment, fuel and guide services are some of the sales from out-of-staters that will be destroyed.
None of your rhetoric is supported by any facts and is frankly ridiculous.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2019, 08:18:17 PM »

Liberals have taken over Idaho says the guy from king county  :chuckle: the vet license increase is the only increase I disagree with. Disabled veterans deserve a lot more than discounted hunting license. If not being able to hunt out of state kills hunting our youth and their parents have bigger problems than tag prices. Idaho has more than enough hunters and our outdoor related economy won’t be destroyed with a few less non resident hunters if in fact tag sales decrease

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2019, 08:19:25 PM »

Out of state hunting for youth is a luxury some kids get if they are lucky to be born to avid hunting parents that can afford it or prioritize their spending so they can afford it

Oh come on, its 2019.  Where is your sense of entitlement?  :chuckle:

:chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]