collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho: cougars kill more elk than wolves  (Read 5124 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Idaho: cougars kill more elk than wolves
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 12:33:39 PM »
Just because one predator kills fewer game animals than another predator doesn't make it a "good" animal. Both wolves and cougars kill game animals that could have been killed by hunters. Both need to be aggressively managed.

:yeah: 100%. It's a slight of hand to point this out. I would also say that however many elk that wolves kill, it's in addition to elk mortality before wolves were introduced into the GYA. We should introduce even more predators and justify their existence because cougars kill more.  8)
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
There's a crap ton more logic in this thread than the one on Facebook, which I greatly appreciate.

There's a guy over there arguing with a wildlife biologist insisting cougars are not capable of killing adult elk.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Cervus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 02:00:54 PM »
For anyone who would like to read the *actual journal article* not just the summary from the newspaper you can find it here:

https://wildlife.org/jwm-wolves-reduce-elk-survival-but-theyre-not-alone/      (link embedded in first paragraph)

or here:

https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jwmg.21689  (direct link to view text & download PDF)

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 02:11:22 PM »
There’s a flaw in the logic of looking at this as 1 cougar vs 1 wolf. The one cougar has a home range as large as a pack of 10 to 12 wolfs so that 10 to 12 wolfs are going to be killing 10 times as many animals as the 1 cougar that is in the area. Wolfs are much more likely to kill just for the sport of it also while cougars will generally stick with their kill until they’ve eaten it and then continue hunting. They both are hard on wildlife but wolfs have had a much larger and quicker effect on the reduction of mule deer, elk, and moose numbers in a very short time.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »
There’s a flaw in the logic of looking at this as 1 cougar vs 1 wolf. The one cougar has a home range as large as a pack of 10 to 12 wolfs so that 10 to 12 wolfs are going to be killing 10 times as many animals as the 1 cougar that is in the area.

Its never just the 1 cougar in hhe area.  Wdfw saying theres 1 cougar per 10 sq miles is absolute *censored*.  Females share territory for one thing. If you think a wolf packs territory only has 1 cougar in it youve been smoking something.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 05:50:51 PM »
Bears probably kill more deer than wolves or cougar, who cares?  The point is that the wolves are completely unmanaged in places (like WA and Yellowstone Park) and that's the issue.  I'm not sure how we get sucked down these rabbit holes all the time. :dunno:

Unless we go back to when there weren't people, highways, houses and the like, we really need to manage predators as human activity gives them advantages by limiting where their prey can live, travel and escape through.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 06:40:57 PM »
This must be why the elk population in Yellowstone plummeted after wolf introduction apparently the cougar population exploded at the same time.

I actually watched a really interesting documentary that was trying to make the case that LAKE TROUT were a big factor in the decline of elk in Yellowstone.

No joke.

Somebody dumped Lake Trout into Yellowstone lake.   The Lake Trout decimated the Brook Trout......
Those Brook Trout spawning in the Spring were THE big protien source for Grizzlies....
Now they are basically gone.
The Griz that used to eat them had to switch to something else in the Spring and many of them switched to elk calves.

So went the Wildlife Biologists theory.

I'm not saying I buy it or I don't, because I don't know enough to know.

But....  I was 100% in the camp of "wolves wiped out Yellowstone elk", and after watching that documentary, I am no longer sure.....

Please don't call me a wolf lover.....
I've never known of any spring spawning brook trout, all fall spawners.  Not saying they don't exist just never known of any.  Maybe they were postulating about Yellowstone cutthroats?  The Yellowstone lake population is severely impacted by lake trout, but there are still abundant Yellowstone cuts in the rivers and tributary streams.

@DOUBLELUNG

Sorry for my carelessness.
Yes, their postulation involved Cutthrouts.

It was interesting.

They showed streams that used to have thousands of spawning trout for the bears, and the streams were barren of spawners.

They said Griz fattened up on trout like salmon, but had to switch and that many of them switched to elk calves.

Again.....  IDK what is truth, but it was interesting.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 10:41:05 PM »
Just because one predator kills fewer game animals than another predator doesn't make it a "good" animal. Both wolves and cougars kill game animals that could have been killed by hunters. Both need to be aggressively managed.

:yeah:  BINGO!

For the last 50 years there were only cougar on the landscape. Now that wolves are taking an additional 32% that means the overall predator take of elk, deer, and moose is much higher, specifically a reason seasons have been shortened or need to be shortened in areas impacted by wolves and cougars.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 09:43:58 AM »
wdfw needs to get back to calling predators predators rather than big game animals.  They need to be managed in the same manner as coyotes, even then, they will thrive.

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 10:15:31 AM »
 :yeah:
wdfw needs to get back to calling predators predators rather than big game animals.  They need to be managed in the same manner as coyotes, even then, they will thrive.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
Wolves were INTRODUCED and protected.  They are what pushed us into a predator pit.  Prior to wolves, our populations were growing.  Post wolves, they're shrinking.  Why don't these obviously biased studies about this? They also take away lots of lion kills thereby forcing the Lions to kill more than they used to.  It's all propaganda...  Trying to assuage the righteous anger over what they INTRODUCED.   :bash:

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 08:58:57 AM »
Wolves were INTRODUCED and protected.  They are what pushed us into a predator pit.  Prior to wolves, our populations were growing.  Post wolves, they're shrinking.  Why don't these obviously biased studies about this? They also take away lots of lion kills thereby forcing the Lions to kill more than they used to.  It's all propaganda...  Trying to assuage the righteous anger over what they INTRODUCED.   :bash:

:yeah: waaay more lions in the panhandle in the 90s and early 2000 and there were twice as many elk. The honest f & G people said that wolves were stealing lion kills and forcing lions to hunt more often- another big factor in the study often left out. I am good with Idaho's management of wolves so far I think we will enjoy good elk hunting for a long time but it will never be as good as it was and some areas will probably never recover. I just hate the dishonesty of trying to point the figure at another predator when everyone that has hunted Idaho elk for a long time know for a fact that herds dwindled when WOLVES showed up in large numbers.I don't care why-maybe it was just stacking a new predator on top of the ones already here or wolves are just killing machines. It doesn't matter they just need to acknowledge that they introduced wolves and in many areas elk collapsed. I am sick of all the misdirection in these "studies" Bears and Lions were always here in larger numbers than they are today. IDFG declared war on lions and bears and they were not the problem. Anybody that has hunted bears and lions for a long time in north Idaho I think would also tell you we have LESS bears and cougars than we did. Also the age structure of our cats and bears tends to get younger every year I think. Just what I see I don't know maybe Bearpaw and others have a different experience. I followed Bearpaw season and they knocked down some whopper bears. I know for a fact  we have less lions where I hunt and they as a general rule are younger   

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »

:yeah: waaay more lions in the panhandle in the 90s and early 2000 and there were twice as many elk. The honest f & G people said that wolves were stealing lion kills and forcing lions to hunt more often- another big factor in the study often left out. I am good with Idaho's management of wolves so far I think we will enjoy good elk hunting for a long time but it will never be as good as it was and some areas will probably never recover. I just hate the dishonesty of trying to point the figure at another predator when everyone that has hunted Idaho elk for a long time know for a fact that herds dwindled when WOLVES showed up in large numbers.I don't care why-maybe it was just stacking a new predator on top of the ones already here or wolves are just killing machines. It doesn't matter they just need to acknowledge that they introduced wolves and in many areas elk collapsed. I am sick of all the misdirection in these "studies" Bears and Lions were always here in larger numbers than they are today. IDFG declared war on lions and bears and they were not the problem. Anybody that has hunted bears and lions for a long time in north Idaho I think would also tell you we have LESS bears and cougars than we did. Also the age structure of our cats and bears tends to get younger every year I think. Just what I see I don't know maybe Bearpaw and others have a different experience. I followed Bearpaw season and they knocked down some whopper bears. I know for a fact  we have less lions where I hunt and they as a general rule are younger   

I agree with you, overall there are far less lion and bear in many areas, especially the panhandle. I'm convinced the biggest problem is having another third of the elk being killed by wolves and kills being taken away from lions by wolves, so the lions have to kill again sooner to survive. That extra predation by wolves makes it hard for herds to maintain numbers. Thankfully the IDFG is also allowing hunting/trapping of wolves and efforts the last few years by F4WM is making a difference in helping to control wolf numbers. We are seeing decent elk reproduction, but I think the recent harsh winters were tougher on the deer, their numbers have been a couple years. Overall, Idaho has a much brighter outlook than WA due to the different political landscape.

Regarding the big bear we've been getting, I can't emphasize how hard my guides worked to find some of those big bear that we harvested. It would be much easier to shoot more medium sized bear, but they really worked hard to find bigger bear.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]