collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: West Klickitat Late elk  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Salmonmoocher12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: West Klickitat Late elk
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 12:17:27 PM »
The last two years there has been more logging in the NFS around Trout Lake than I have seen in the last 20 years. This logging should add a bunch of winter/spring feed for the elk that move down into the area to winter.

I have not seen any logging in the GPNF in over 20 years, only some select thinning but no clear cutting.

Offline 444Marlin

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »
Lots of clear cuts on the private timber land.  SDS, Hancock and some others.
And clear cuts on the res.  The thinning in the NF helps too.

Lots of full timber trucks running up and down HWY 141.

Offline KDB

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 11:09:23 AM »
I can’t speak to the change in herd size. But SDS has been closing more and more land down to the public. Others have said kreps did the same but all there land has been no trespassing for the time I have lived down here. And they have a lot of good hunting landlocked.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »
The last two years there has been more logging in the NFS around Trout Lake than I have seen in the last 20 years. This logging should add a bunch of winter/spring feed for the elk that move down into the area to winter.

I have not seen any logging in the GPNF in over 20 years, only some select thinning but no clear cutting.

I have been hunting the GPNF for less than 15 years and there are several clear cuts that are new since I started hiking in there.  Also several areas that were thinned as well. I don't know how much is needed to help in recovery but there is some that is being logged.   :twocents:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline 444Marlin

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 10:57:16 PM »
I've been pretty upset about the decline in that unit and the surrounding area as it was one of my favorite places to go.  To me it's been a combination of "Loving it to Death" by many of us who like to hunt there - and the perfect storm of the other factors I mentioned before.

I'm going to stop hunting there for a few years and pray for the herd to recover.  I'm sad about not hunting there, but I'm looking forward to learning new areas.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »
I've been pretty upset about the decline in that unit and the surrounding area as it was one of my favorite places to go.  To me it's been a combination of "Loving it to Death" by many of us who like to hunt there - and the perfect storm of the other factors I mentioned before.

I'm going to stop hunting there for a few years and pray for the herd to recover.  I'm sad about not hunting there, but I'm looking forward to learning new areas.

A massive cougar and black bear population is the main reason for the decline. If you want to improve hunting come hunt predators.

Offline 444Marlin

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 07:06:59 PM »

A massive cougar and black bear population is the main reason for the decline. If you want to improve hunting come hunt predators.

Yep.  I've crossed a few cougar tracks in the past few years.  But at my peak of the 'glory days' in that unit, I saw bear tracks everywhere.  I saw more sign of bears then than I do now.  They were thick!
I don't agree its the main reason for the decline.  But I agree that it's a significant contributing factor.  I admit, I have no data to back that up.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]