collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shrimp?  (Read 10360 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Shrimp?
« on: May 06, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »
We are 10 days from the rumored opener and mum is the word from WDFW.  Anyone hear any new rumors on the season or when they will find time in their busy schedule to let us know when they will put something out?

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Shrimp?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »
 :yeah: I am wondering the same thing.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline nwhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »
I got a call from quilicence marina where I had moorage reservation for shrimp season and they are cancelling all reservations and not allowing any overnight stays at the marina. She said it doesn't sound good for any shrimp season either.. If they do a summer opener I would assume the natives will have pillaged them already so I'm not holding out much hope for shrimp this year. I know the natives just shrimp for "subsistence"  but maybe they will be selling some...? :bash:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 04:56:09 PM »
I've heard they have fish checkers now ready for shrimp and halibut. So the next step is seeing what counties are willing to allow as far as travel goes for people participating in the seasons. I would suspect we will get a shrimp opener in the next week or two. Most likely get an announcement this next Monday. So I'm told.

Offline BLH69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
 Eating my last 2 bags of Spots tonight >:(

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:56:08 PM »
Haven't heard anything yet on the shrimping but it must be loosening up a little as I have three reservations at Steamboat Campground from May 15th to 25th and just got word that it will be open on May 19th for existing reservations.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
I've heard they have fish checkers now ready for shrimp and halibut. So the next step is seeing what counties are willing to allow as far as travel goes for people participating in the seasons. I would suspect we will get a shrimp opener in the next week or two. Most likely get an announcement this next Monday. So I'm told.

Thanks, I heard the checkers were ready yesterday and that the announcement was going to be early to mid this week.

Funny, I haven't heard about any issues for people traveling for golf or wakeboarding.  For some reason, they must think fishermen are super carriers.  Nobody else is dragging their feet.

Yet another example of WDFW working hard for the people buying all the licenses.

Offline acrocker

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 06:35:24 PM »
Per one of their employees, WDFW likes to put out notices on Thursdays, so I'm expecting something tomorrow.

As an aside - does anyone know why the seasons are traditionally the first weekend in May? I don't think the shrimp are migratory, I see them all year while diving, so I wonder why they don't have the season during the summer, or have it in the winter to keep the participation down if they're that concerned about the population?

Speaking of which, Is the Puget Sound spot shrimp population so small that it can only support a 10 hour season each year? Just wondering...

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 07:04:22 PM »
Per one of their employees, WDFW likes to put out notices on Thursdays, so I'm expecting something tomorrow.

As an aside - does anyone know why the seasons are traditionally the first weekend in May? I don't think the shrimp are migratory, I see them all year while diving, so I wonder why they don't have the season during the summer, or have it in the winter to keep the participation down if they're that concerned about the population?

Speaking of which, Is the Puget Sound spot shrimp population so small that it can only support a 10 hour season each year? Just wondering...

That is the Hood Canal season.

If the non-special group quota is not met in Area 7 East during the limited openings, some times they have opened it up a few days in the summer. Area 7 West is open for a lot of the summer.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »
It kind of is at the same time every year but not really.  I have always thought a guy could spend one hour with tide tables and set the seasons for the next 20 years.  Every once in a while the tides are really bad and in my opinion it's a safety issue opening then.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why they take so long on a normal year to come out with the dates.  Sure, the length of the season may vary, but give us the opening date so we can plan.

This year is 10x as bad.  I would have expected them to have spent some time in the last 7 weeks to figure out how the opener would happen, but it seems like that's not the case.

Regarding the length of the season, I do support that as they are real easy to catch and there are a ton of rec boats that chase them.  The overall poundage management seems to be going well, I'm just at a loss to figure out how it takes more effort to get to the moon than picking a Saturday in May and giving people time to plan their vacations and travel.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 12:38:47 PM »
It kind of is at the same time every year but not really.  I have always thought a guy could spend one hour with tide tables and set the seasons for the next 20 years.  Every once in a while the tides are really bad and in my opinion it's a safety issue opening then.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why they take so long on a normal year to come out with the dates.  Sure, the length of the season may vary, but give us the opening date so we can plan.

This year is 10x as bad.  I would have expected them to have spent some time in the last 7 weeks to figure out how the opener would happen, but it seems like that's not the case.

Regarding the length of the season, I do support that as they are real easy to catch and there are a ton of rec boats that chase them.  The overall poundage management seems to be going well, I'm just at a loss to figure out how it takes more effort to get to the moon than picking a Saturday in May and giving people time to plan their vacations and travel.
oh don't use that bad word 'travel' right now  :chuckle:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 01:39:18 PM »
This year is not so different in that they wait until the last minute to tell you when it will open.  Many places require reservations up to a year in advance and we have to guess at the Saturday.  It isn't this bad in a normal year, but they don't give you as much notice as they could and should.

If the checkers are in place, why not communicate either when the season is or when they will announce it?  Customer service 101.

Offline Camo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 05:53:39 PM »
Haven't heard anything yet on the shrimping but it must be loosening up a little as I have three reservations at Steamboat Campground from May 15th to 25th and just got word that it will be open on May 19th for existing reservations.

Was thinking the same thing, got the same notice except only had one day left on my reservation. Guess I will be in Coulee City.
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 01:41:02 PM »
Word from Mark Yuasa is that it's not happening this weekend due to Seattle & Edmonds closing their launches - a good thing if you ask me as the crowds are bad enough when everyone is spread out.  Bad tides will move in, so late May or June.  Apparently they don't breed until late July, so it shouldn't be a problem once Seattle opens up.

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »
Did area 6 open? Does it not open until the PS season has occured?
Fish hard, hunt harder!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal