collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thinking about a new truck or, yikes, SUV....  (Read 2562 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Thinking about a new truck or, yikes, SUV....
« on: July 10, 2020, 12:25:15 PM »
My mainland truck is an '06 Dodge 1500. It's pushing 220,000 and I'm thinking that it is time. It also gets 16mpg at the best.

Parameters: 20+mpg, 3500+# tow capacity, 4 adult seating, and not white  :chuckle:

I am not picky on brand, though reliable would be nice, but I cannot also break the bank.

Give me opinions please other than "Fords suck", "Chevy bites", etc. Also, if you are a "truck" guy or gal and shifted to an SUV, how did that work out? Regrets?

Thanks

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Thinking about a new truck or, yikes, SUV....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 12:29:09 PM »
My buddy has a 1 ton gmc, it's soooooo nice, rides like a dream.  His is a 2018, he's a disabled vet and he got it for under 60,000 in puyallup.  That's a heck of a price so I wonder if his status got him a big discount.  It's a duramax diesel 4 door short bed, loaded.  I have an old GMC 3/4 ton diesel and I love it.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 12:32:18 PM »
I got a 2016 Colorado I really like,  had some issues and got towed about 5 times before it had 2000 miles but once they figured out a wire wasn't installed correctly under the fuse box it's been flawless to 70k miles. 

I put bigger tires and it's about 20 mpg or just under,  on a road trip I can get an honest 20

V6 gas

I wish I had waited a year or two and got the ZR1

The new Taco's are really nice,  I'd have a hard time deciding between a new ZR1 and Tacoma TRD pro.   I love that green Toyota has on the pro

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
My next truck will be a GMC 1/2T baby duramax.

Hope that helps  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Buckewe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 12:58:48 PM »
I just got a 2020 chevy 1500 trail boss. I love it so far, averaged 20 mpg on the highway to montana and back.
Blacktail lives matter

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 01:16:02 PM »
F-150, hands down the best 1/2 ton on the market.

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
Just bought a 2020 Tundra
Yes it’s white
38 gallon tank
4 door short box crewmax
Mileage is 14 around town
Love it
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 02:07:48 PM »
My wife drives a 17 Ford Explorer and I traded my 2013 Tacoma in on a 2020 GMC AT4 1500 this past Dec.  Owned the Tacoma since new and it was an ok truck never really had any issues with it but keep in mind, they're a mid size truck and make sure that's all you'll need before you buy one.

Like I said, the Tacoma was a decent enough rig, no real complaints, but I didn't see anything special about it either.  Mine was a 4dr and had the Off Road pkg w/V6 and auto trans.  It was a fairly rough ride and rather harsh over small bumps or train crossings.  The V6 in mine was ok but I put a TRD supercharger on it and that made a huge difference.  The new Tacoma has a smaller V6 with higher rated HP but it isn't even close to my 13 V6 with the supercharger.  Don't know what the new ones do for mileage but if I drove mine decent it would get between 18-19 around town and 21-23 on the freeway but that's only if you drove the speed limit.

I really like my new GMC and that's coming from a Ford guy.  I can't imagine every having anything but a pickup as, my, vehicle but I have to be honest, for running around here or there, I catch myself driving my wife's Explorer more than I do my pickup but it's probably just a convenience thing.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 02:18:21 PM »
We bought a new Silverado crew 1500 pretty loaded up, its been a nice comfortable truck and chevy has some great deals/rebates on new if you keep ur eyes peeled :twocents:
Go hawks

Offline Widgeondeke

• Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 02:23:46 PM »
F-150 4x4 crew cab with the 3.5 Ecoboost, 6.5' bed and I can tow 12,500+ with max tow package. I've had more than the reccomended weight in the bed and it only lowered to level

I get 19.7mpg on my commute on Hwy 9 & back roads and 23mpg +/- on I-5.  I am expecting to get better than that on my trip to Wyoming in 9 weeks. After 10 months I am sitting at 19.4mpg. Didn't have to change the oil until 9,000 miles. The twin turbos are nice, really gets up and goes when you want to pass someone only going 50 on a 2 lane road  :chuckle:

The back seat has more room than the front   :). I sat in the back seat of every brand and Ford was the best  :twocents:

I am VERY happy with my truck
I liked the Tacoma, but it lacked in head room for a big guy like myself. Tundra is nice, but they lack in mpg

I know your 2nd home is close to me. Let me know if you wanna take a ride some time.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 02:27:33 PM »
I have a 2019 Military brown Tacoma OR4x4 that I might need to sell if I don't get a job pretty soon. It looks sweet, comes with a hard cover, 7-year warranty. Gets around 18 avg. 6,000 miles. One fender bender in Lowes parked, which has been repaired to Toyota standards. How soon do you need to buy?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »
My wife drives a 17 Ford Explorer and I traded my 2013 Tacoma in on a 2020 GMC AT4 1500 this past Dec.  Owned the Tacoma since new and it was an ok truck never really had any issues with it but keep in mind, they're a mid size truck and make sure that's all you'll need before you buy one.

Like I said, the Tacoma was a decent enough rig, no real complaints, but I didn't see anything special about it either.  Mine was a 4dr and had the Off Road pkg w/V6 and auto trans.  It was a fairly rough ride and rather harsh over small bumps or train crossings.  The V6 in mine was ok but I put a TRD supercharger on it and that made a huge difference.  The new Tacoma has a smaller V6 with higher rated HP but it isn't even close to my 13 V6 with the supercharger.  Don't know what the new ones do for mileage but if I drove mine decent it would get between 18-19 around town and 21-23 on the freeway but that's only if you drove the speed limit.

I really like my new GMC and that's coming from a Ford guy.  I can't imagine every having anything but a pickup as, my, vehicle but I have to be honest, for running around here or there, I catch myself driving my wife's Explorer more than I do my pickup but it's probably just a convenience thing.

I find myself driving my wife's 2018 4runner for the same reasons. I like my diesel pickup and with the RV we have I need it but it sure would be nice to have another 4runner for my daily/quick weekend offroad rig. I'd take the wife's but I don't think she'd be to keen on the desert pinstripes  :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 10:24:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input. This is good, keep it coming.  :hello:

Pianoman, I am not looking to buy immediately and will probably try to buy new, thanks though. Good luck on the job front.

Widgeon, my dad bought a new Ford (F150 maybe) a few years ago, I was surprised at the mileage projections.

Lewy, I've got a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 that I have been happy with, but it has become an "island" truck.  ;)

I like the idea of an SUV, except for hauling lumber or plumbing pipe, but the couple I looked at had crap towing capabilities.

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 12:48:26 AM »
The 2020 6’4” Limited Ram 1500 can get 23.6 mpg and Dave Smith still has a white one. Mine came from Billings Mt.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 12:53:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. This is good, keep it coming.  :hello:

Pianoman, I am not looking to buy immediately and will probably try to buy new, thanks though. Good luck on the job front.

Widgeon, my dad bought a new Ford (F150 maybe) a few years ago, I was surprised at the mileage projections.

Lewy, I've got a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 that I have been happy with, but it has become an "island" truck.  ;)

I like the idea of an SUV, except for hauling lumber or plumbing pipe, but the couple I looked at had crap towing capabilities.

A small utility trailer will compliment your new SUV nicely, and allow more comfort of daily driving.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]