collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Razor clams  (Read 34715 times)

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Razor clams
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2021, 04:00:08 PM »
I guess this begs the question as to why they can't just issue a statement saying not to eat the guts. Like vibriosis where they say not to eat it raw.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2021, 04:10:44 PM »
My understanding is that with crab, Domoic acid is only in the guts and clams and oysters it is in the entire organism.  Even if you are not eating the stomach contents you are eating a lot of different body parts on a clam.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline Igottanewknee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2021, 09:32:39 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline KP-Skagit

• Longhunter
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »
My understanding is that with crab, Domoic acid is only in the guts and clams and oysters it is in the entire organism.  Even if you are not eating the stomach contents you are eating a lot of different body parts on a clam.

That is what I always thought BUT contradicts what was said a couple posts up as a justification for finding commercially harvested clams in the store.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2021, 10:26:20 AM »
The native I talked to said if you clean the razor clam, you are good. Would make sense if they are able to sell commercially. I doubt those clams are over a year old.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2021, 11:14:26 AM »
Here is what WDFW thinks:

Research has shown that razor clams accumulate domoic acid in edible tissue and are slow to expel the toxin. In Dungeness crab, domoic acid primarily accumulates in the viscera (internal organs) or “butter.”

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/basics/domoic-acid

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2021, 11:49:31 AM »
The native I talked to said if you clean the razor clam, you are good. Would make sense if they are able to sell commercially. I doubt those clams are over a year old.

The same tribe also harvested, sold and then recalled 29 tons of crab.  The closure was already in place when then they went crabbing.  Me thinks it's all about the money.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/quinault-tribe-recall-29-tons-of-dungeness-crab-due-to-toxin/281-5af014f7-ddb6-4582-adb7-e581388f0aee#:~:text=SEATTLE%20%E2%80%94%20Nearly%2029%20tons%20of,recalled%20by%20the%20Quinault%20Tribe.&text=hours%20of%20consumption.-,The%20crab%20was%20caught%20by%20the%20tribe%20from%20Dec.,place%20where%20it%20was%20purchased.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »

The same tribe also harvested, sold and then recalled 29 tons of crab.  The closure was already in place when then they went crabbing.  Me thinks it's all about the money.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/quinault-tribe-recall-29-tons-of-dungeness-crab-due-to-toxin/281-5af014f7-ddb6-4582-adb7-e581388f0aee#:~:text=SEATTLE%20%E2%80%94%20Nearly%2029%20tons%20of,recalled%20by%20the%20Quinault%20Tribe.&text=hours%20of%20consumption.-,The%20crab%20was%20caught%20by%20the%20tribe%20from%20Dec.,place%20where%20it%20was%20purchased.

Is that why I got bells palsy at christmas?  :chuckle: somebody should throw a 20 down for a pack of those clams and have them tested!

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »

That is what I always thought BUT contradicts what was said a couple posts up as a justification for finding commercially harvested clams in the store.
“Previously frozen” ;)
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2021, 05:16:36 PM »
Pretty cheap really, wholesale off the beach must be $10-15 a pound cleaned.  If it wasn’t so much fun I would just buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2021, 07:55:07 PM »

Fact-checking:

First, it was a retroactive closure.  They harvested the crab after toxin testing showed the crab were ok.   I repeat - the department of Health gave the OK on commercial harvesting and sales before they opened.  During harvest they submitted crab for testing that showed toxin above the limit in the viscera - it only takes one crab. Therefore the recall.

Second, in response to other posts, the razor clams in the pic were obviously frozen.  Read the label.  Everybody harvested razor clams in early fall before the Pseudo-nitzschia bloom.  Razor clams freeze like a boss.  for years.

Third, the toxin is not caused by bacteria.  It is a diatom.  We are talking single-celled plant organisms here.

Please please please, do a little research before spouting off Qanon quack stuff.  This stuff is easily findable on the internet.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline KP-Skagit

• Longhunter
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2021, 08:06:59 PM »

Fact-checking:

First, it was a retroactive closure.  They harvested the crab after toxin testing showed the crab were ok.   I repeat - the department of Health gave the OK on commercial harvesting and sales before they opened.  During harvest they submitted crab for testing that showed toxin above the limit in the viscera - it only takes one crab. Therefore the recall.

Second, in response to other posts, the razor clams in the pic were obviously frozen.  Read the label.  Everybody harvested razor clams in early fall before the Pseudo-nitzschia bloom.  Razor clams freeze like a boss.  for years.

Third, the toxin is not caused by bacteria.  It is a diatom.  We are talking single-celled plant organisms here.

Please please please, do a little research before spouting off Qanon quack stuff.  This stuff is easily findable on the internet.

No conspiracy theorist quack stuff here. Just trying to inform myself. Pack of clam pictured said it was packed in Feb of 2021. Seems odd to me that they would be harvested, frozen, and then packed. So seemed to me they were harvested recently.

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »
That is the date that QFC put their sticker on it.  nothing more.  Could have been frozen since 1985.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2021, 10:13:11 PM »
That is the date that QFC put their sticker on it.  nothing more.  Could have been frozen since 1985.

Don’t confuse the issue with facts! BAN HIM! BAN HIM!  :chuckle:  :chuckle: :chuckle: :IBCOOL:
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2021, 07:19:38 AM »

Fact-checking:

Fact checking: WDFW shut down rec crabbing in early December, well before the tribe fished: https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/most-washington-coast-now-closed-crab-fishing-due-marine-toxins

The toxin was known and they crabbed anyway.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal